Cycling, Lights, & Live Rock

rainmkr07

I will be starting the cycling process tomorrow in my new 75 gallon tank. The Salt Water is ready and the live sand too! The live rock I ordered will be arriving and I had a question. I know not to change the water during the cycle process, but what about lights? Should I run them or not? If so, how long? I believe the algae on the live rocks will only grow w/ lighting... So I must need to run the lights? Thanks!

brettmc

Ditto, you can turn on your lights if you wanna see what it will look like, but its not really necessary.

lion_crazz

Well you need to decide whether you want to try and keep the life alive on your rock or not. If so, you are going to have to do water changes to keep your ammonia below 1.0 ppm while the tank is cycling. If the ammonia goes much above 1.0 or 2.0, you may lose a lot of the life that is living on your rock.
If you want the algae to remain alive and grow, you also need to have some sort of light that will feed the algae, as well.

grubsnaek

Also my havin the lights on a timer. you your self will get used to the timing. meaning you learn we you have time to work on the tank before the lights go out. cause when mine go out thats it. works done for the day.
aaaaaaaaannnnnnnndddddddd hopefully you get some good hitch hikers that will get a good start on growin if they survive the cycle. i have live rock that went throw hell and hell again and still some things last and are doing great.