cycling my first saltwater tank

hpimike02

hey guys,
i will be cycling my first salt water tank in the next few days .... i have a Millennium Wet-Dry Multi-Filter and will have 5 pounds of LR in my tank and will be using Live sand... is this okay to just cycle my tank? and i will add more later after the cycle period?
what else would i need to cycle my tank? i am using a 10 G tank (should i go with a bigger tank?)
mike

ruaround

definitely go with a bigger tank if you can afford it and have the space... I would suggest more live rock... and to start the cycle use either a damsel (not advised by most) or a dead shrimp...like a coctail shrimp you can get in your grocers meat section... good luck!!!

remember...be patient and research!!!

jerth6932

Go AS BIG as you can!!!
You will always want a bigger tank..... or if not bigger, then More tanks!!!!
It is always suggested to get 1LB Live Rock for a Gallon of water or even a pound and a half!! Cycling with a dead shrimp is the best move!!! Then you don't have to terrize live fish.

hpimike02

how long should the cycle period last ? will is last the same amount of t ime with a dead shrimp(one you can get from publix) or a damsel?
what would you guys use for lighting ?.. i would eventually like to have some corel or Anemone

jerth6932

Originally Posted by hpimike02
how long should the cycle period last ? will is last the same amount of t ime with a dead shrimp(one you can get from publix) or a damsel?
what would you guys use for lighting ?.. i would eventually like to have some corel or Anemone
First you need to decide what size of tank you want to go with... then after you do that then you can figure out what type of lighting you can get!
Shrimp from what I have been told cycles faster.... but it is a hear say thing! A tank will usually Cycle in 1-9 Weeks depending on your tank, conditions, water quality......ect.

chipmaker

Hard to say how ong its going to take to cycle, but I would definately go the dead raw shrimp approach and leave the damsels or any other living breathing critter out until its cycled. I have mixed thoughts as to what everyone says in "go bigger".WHY? I have laarge tanks, but my preference is smaller setup, 20 gal and smaller, mainly 5 gal or smaller is my favorites...If I did not have so much money invested n my larger setups I would take them down and make room for more small tanks....A lot of people think SW is neat, and go nuts on buying large setups, and then find out its not really something they want to be tied down with....then again some say larger is easier to take care of....I do not buy this as I started with a < 2 gal pico as my first setup and its not been a problem of any kind, and a properly setup and maintained smaller tank can be just as diverse and much cheaper to keep than a larger tank.
If your intent is to add more LR later, its going to extend the cycle yet longer, so why not add what rock your intending to add from the start and let it cycle and be done with it.
Just keep checking your ammonia levels and nitrite levels. When they hit zero, your tank is cycled.
I like to use those devices called ammonia alerts, when I setup a new tank. They change colors at different levels of ammonia. INitially they indicate yellow and safe and within no time at all yu can see the indicator dot change colors........SInce there is not much you can do to a tank in the cycling stage, but wait and watch, your not apt to mess anything up and it elimiates the urge to do ammonia checks. When I see the indicator show my level of ammonia is safe again, I then do a water test......
You can get these little ammonia alert devices in most any LFS for under $5. once tank is cycled and runnig correctly I still leave them in the tank, as a quick visual indicator. I still do water tests, and use the indicator as a quick visual.

ecoman

most people wouldnt suggest a salt water tank under 55 gallons, unless you really monitor your water readings! 10 Gallons of water can go bad REAL FAST! As opposed to 75 gallons, which will take 7.5 times longer to go bad! It is easy to crash a small system!

chipmaker

I think the easy crashing of a small system is hogwash personally,. I have a bunch of 2 gal or less picos and they are actually less work and trouble than the bigger tanks are. Only problem is getting temps situated, but its still a doable thing using a combinatio of heater/ fans and such just like the larger setups do.......Coralifes 96 watt quad PC is a perfect light that will work on that size tank and yoou will be able to grow and keep a good variety of critters with it.......Everyitng yu do to a small tank is the same as for a large tank, only its done in smaller quanities and lesser $$$......your just dealing with a smaller scale of exact requirements as large tanks..

phixer

The Fad now is "nano tanks" some are tiny. Dont have one, so cant comment on them. Its always been common sense that Larger tanks tend to be more stable thermally and chemically because it takes longer for a larger volume of water to be affected by smaller subtle changes, the chain reaction is slowed. It takes longer to freeze a bucket of water than an ice tray. However chemically speaking if you are close to your saturation point from overstocking in a large tank it can just as easily become as unstable as a small one. 50ppm of anything in 10 gallons of water is always more concentrated than 50ppm in 100 gallons of water. Partially why the sea is able so sustain so much polloution over time without major die offs.