Cycling New 40 Gallon, SUPER QUICK, Let Me Know If This Helps!

souljah

I bought a new 40 gallon tank on march 27.
I put all cycled water in from my 100 gallon.
I bought lots of live rock, Lots of live sand and threw it in there. I also took a huge chunk off green algae from my 100 gallon, broke it up and threw it in my 40 gallon. I've also been putting in "CYCLE" saltwater aquarium maturing fluid religiously since day one. This tank has been up and running since march 27. Did all this stuff I did help cycle this tank quick? I put a domino damsel and arrowcrab in the first day I bought it and they are still living and fine. I want to throw a trigger in but I dont know if I should.
All My water tests out perfect. Should I throw the trigger in or wait?
My biowheel is already showing green algae slime on it. Should I try to put the trigger in this tank? Also, everything I did for this tank, did it help speed up the cycle much at all? or Did I pretty much do It all for nothing?
Sorry for the long post, I would like lots of comments though
thanks

I am new...so..take what i say with a grain of salt........but even with all u did...it seems like u should have had an ammonia spike...I have a NEW set up also and it seems evertime i add some live rock i get a "mini cycle".... to be honest if I were u i would wait about 3 more weeks ...quit adding things and keep an eye on the cycle...give it time don't rush it...did u check the water samples everytime u added something? Give it time my friend it will come to you.....GOOD LUCK!!! :p

krux

Waiting is always a safer bet, but there have been many reports of cycling so short, you never really see a spike at all. If you used fairly fresh live rock (no smell to it) or you know for sure it was already cured, then there very well might be no spike for you to see.
If you are going on a month, have algae growth on your wheel, and have been monitoring your water daily, you are probably ok at this point considering all of the bacteria that you put into the system, between the rock, sand, and culture.
If you are in a hurry go for it, you are most likely ok, but be prepared to both waste money, and watch a fish die if something should happen. At this point I probably would, but then again I have been lucky and haven't burned myself yet.
GL

I have found that patience is always a posative thing. I would keep testing for at least another week. You dont want to risk an expensive fish dying.

superman

I would wait too. If you used the water from your old tank ok, but you also got new lr and ls. This may cause spikes like the others said. Was the lr cured or raw? That's what will make the difference.

jacrmill

as everybody else said you should really wait a little longer. taking water from an established tank will help a little, but most of the good bacteria will be living on the biowheel, substrat, and LR. also since you recently added LR, you still might get a spike. but triggers are very hardy fish, so you might be able to get away with it. but i wouldnt add a trigger if i were you, a 40 gallon tank is too small for when the fish is full grown. They should really be in a 75 gallon tank or so.

ruaround

Although it would be nice, IMO there really isnt nor should there be a "quik cycle"... Your tank should grow and mature with time, not chemical additives. In this hobby good things come to those who wait, and better things come to those who wait longer!

von_rahvin

i agree with runaround. wh9ile adding "cured" live rock and your older water, there has been very little time to have the tank get settled. My tank was over it's spikes in a week flat. I used high qual live rock, and high qual LS, got water from an established tank and let it sit. it MAY work, but why cause yourself the worry? wait the extra week. it is good for you!! :D