Cycling Process? how long?

nancysalt

My tank has just had a major change. I had an undergravel filter and crushed coral, I put in a wet/dry bio-wheel and Live Sand. I also put my live rock back in that had been in the tank for 7 years. The amonia spiked the next day, Then two day later the nitrites where almost spiking, so I have a question? What is the full process until the tank is cycled and ready for livestock again? Does the nitrites have to spike? I don't have a QT so my fish, coral & feather duster are living in a bucket with heater, powerhead and lights.
What can I do to speed up the process?
Thanks, Nancy

T

thomas712

For a rough estamate I have copied and edited the following chart.
Day 1
The newly-added ammonia (tank will not begin cycle until fish or some other source of ammonia is added) have not yet produced any measurable amount of ammonia. All readings should be near zero.
Source of ammonia is usually a cocktail shrimp, or even flake food, most folks prefer not to use a live fish.
Day 3
Ammonia level rises rapidly to near-dangerous. First stage bacteria are beginning to become established, but their numbers are low at this point.
Day 5
Ammonia level reaches its peak and begins to decline as first stage bacteria begin to convert it into nitrite. Nitrite levels begin to rise.
Day 8
First stage bacteria are well established and are processing ammonia as fast as the fish are producing it. Ammonia level returns to zero and nitrites climb rapidly.
Day 14
Nitrite levels reach their peak.
Day 27
Nitrite levels continue to be elevated for several weeks as the second stage bacteria begin turning nitrite into nitrate.
Day 29
Second stage bacteria multiply rapidly and begin to catch up with built up nitrite. Nitrite levels drop rapidly and nitrate level becomes detectable.
Day 30
Both first and second stage bacteria are now well established and can keep up with the ammonia output of the fish, turning it first into nitrite and then immediately into nitrate. Tank is now "cycled" and ready for additional livestock.
About all you can do now is wait it out, but if you saved your filters and bacteria base then this could only be a mini cycle. I hope that you got rid of the UGF and crushed coral. If you replaced with sand then it will take a several weeks for the sandbed to mature. There are products on the market that will add bacteria to the tank that may help out, something like Cycle product for instance.
Thomas

nancysalt

The LS I bought said that it had all the bacteria in it to add fish right away. But I didn't put him in. Should I? The rading for today are
PH = 8
ammonia= 1ppm but was at 8 two days ago
Nitrite= 2ppm but was at 0 two days ago
nitrates= 20ppm for the last two day
Thanks Nancy

lion_crazz

no, do not do any water changes during the cycle. To speed it up, you can buy some live bacteria, such as Fritz-Zyme Turbo Start, but that is about all. Make sure the ammonia and nitrite are definitely 0 and you get the nitrates down before you put anything into the tank. Once the ammonia and nitrite are 0, you will do your first water change.

T

thomas712

correct IMO no water changes, those are part of what I edited out of that article. Water changes just prolong the cycle.

ktsdad

Just to reinforce what Thomas has posted.....
You don't want to put in your livestock until your Ammonia and Nitrite are zero at this point your nitrate will be high, that is when you start doing water changes also.
Good Luck!

nancysalt

The reading for today are
PH = 8
ammonia= .50ppm
Nitrite= 5ppm they are off the scale
nitrates= 20ppm
Does this mean the nitrite should start coming down now? Is the cycle almost over? :notsure:
Thanks Nancy

T

thomas712

Its begining to look like you will just have to settle in and wait it out, the ammonia is still on the rise and the nitrItes are just begining to. This does not look like its going to be a quick cycle. just wait and keep checking every other day on the test scores.
Thomas

nancysalt

I got something at my LFS called phosphate X, They said it would help speed up the process of the cycle but it says that it remove Nitrites, Nitrates, Ammonia & phosphate. If it is removing these things can the tank still cycle or is it prolonging it?

nancysalt

does it stop the process? does it then have to start over? I ask because I already put the stupid stuff in :scared:

promisetbg

It very well could. I am not a fan of any so called " snake oils"..the natural process is best.It is important for the bacteria to be present so once you add fish or inverts,there is enough established to handle the bio-load.Was it a liquid..pad or what?

nancysalt

Ok, My clownfish and coral have been living in a bucket because I don't have a QT. I just purchased one but it also has to cycle. How long can my fish stay in the bucket? I would like to move them back to the tank ASAP. There is a product called AmQuel +. It says it removes 1.2 ppm or ammonia, 2 ppm or Nitrite, and 13 ppm of Nitrate with a single dose. Do you think this will stop the cycle. or would it be ok to use so my fish could be in the tank with it cycling but the water wouldn't be as toxic? THanks

keleighr

Originally Posted by Thomas712
For a rough estamate I have copied and edited the following chart.
Day 1
The newly-added ammonia (tank will not begin cycle until fish or some other source of ammonia is added) have not yet produced any measurable amount of ammonia. All readings should be near zero.
Source of ammonia is usually a cocktail shrimp, or even flake food, most folks prefer not to use a live fish.
Day 3
Ammonia level rises rapidly to near-dangerous. First stage bacteria are beginning to become established, but their numbers are low at this point.
Day 5
Ammonia level reaches its peak and begins to decline as first stage bacteria begin to convert it into nitrite. Nitrite levels begin to rise.
Day 8
First stage bacteria are well established and are processing ammonia as fast as the fish are producing it. Ammonia level returns to zero and nitrites climb rapidly.
Day 14
Nitrite levels reach their peak.
Day 27
Nitrite levels continue to be elevated for several weeks as the second stage bacteria begin turning nitrite into nitrate.
Day 29
Second stage bacteria multiply rapidly and begin to catch up with built up nitrite. Nitrite levels drop rapidly and nitrate level becomes detectable.
Day 30
Both first and second stage bacteria are now well established and can keep up with the ammonia output of the fish, turning it first into nitrite and then immediately into nitrate. Tank is now "cycled" and ready for additional livestock.
About all you can do now is wait it out, but if you saved your filters and bacteria base then this could only be a mini cycle. I hope that you got rid of the UGF and crushed coral. If you replaced with sand then it will take a several weeks for the sandbed to mature. There are products on the market that will add bacteria to the tank that may help out, something like Cycle product for instance.
Thomas
Is this for all Sizes of tanks??
I would think for a bigger tank it could take longer???

keleighr

What if you have life rock, live sand and have used water from an already established tank as well as the tank not being brand new just converted from a fresh to a salt??

promisetbg

Originally Posted by promisetbg
I am not a fan of any so called " snake oils"..the natural process is best.
How about if you see if any of your LFS or someone local to you would hold your stuff until the tank is ready. I would also recommend removal of the bio-wheel.It is just going to cause problems with nitrates in the future.Bio-wheels are ok for FW set-ups. This tank does have LR in it right? What are your readings for today?

T

thomas712

Originally Posted by keleighr
Is this for all Sizes of tanks??
I would think for a bigger tank it could take longer???
Call it a general outline for most tanks, all cycles will have their certain variables, but basically the same. The more room you have and available surfaces the more bacteria colonies you may have, but this also depends on bio load. Increase the bio load and the bacteria colonies will increase to handle the bio load.

T

thomas712

Originally Posted by promisetbg
How about if you see if any of your LFS or someone local to you would hold your stuff until the tank is ready.
Excellent suggestion!

I've had to do that once in my life, and my LFS worked well with me on it until my tank was back to normal.