cycling QT with cocktail shrimp

i love fish

when cycling a tank with raw shrimp, how long do you leave the shrimp in there for? Until the cycle is complete, or just long enough to get a certain amount of ammonia?
One more question is green algae and diatom algae bad for the aquarium? I have some in my DT, not too much but i'm wondering if i should leave it there or remove it.
thanks

It needs to stay in there until it starts to decompose thus creating ammonia in the tank. How long exactly is hard to say, depends on the tank.
Algae and diatoms are usually part of a new tank.They usually go away but may need some help from a clean up crew or manual removal.

dmjordan

Originally Posted by SaltWaterNewb
It needs to stay in there until it starts to decompose thus creating ammonia in the tank. How long exactly is hard to say, depends on the tank.
make sure you test everyday and i would take out when ammonia reaches 0.25 ppm.
Algae and diatoms are usually part of a new tank.They usually go away but may need some help from a clean up crew or manual removal.
no clean up crew unless the tank has fully cycled. manual removal works best. you can reduse algae blooms with the use of ro/di water.