cycling question too much shrimp????

bbreaux1

ok im cycling my tank with dead shrimp i put 6 small ones in a 55gal no live rock 20lbs of agra live and a bottle of biozyme. this is day 13 i have a high nitrite reading and my nitrates are about 5-10 but my test is still showing 1ppm of amonia and has been for about 4or 5 days now could it be that i have too much shrimp producing too much amonia to where its going threw the cycle but since theres so much amonia the system cant get rid of all the amonia.so if that is it i was thinking taking out two or three of the mushy pieces left and leavin the other three or 4 pieces and that should be producing as much amonia as two small a perc clowns? thanks for any help

broomer5

My guess is that by adding a bottle of biozyme, your tank is going through a non-traditional cycle. You've introduced several types of bacteria all at once, and each type of bacteria is doing it's natural thing ..... simultaneously.
I'm not 100% sure about this .... but it would not surprise me to see each measurable test giving you all sorts of readings .. all over the place, and not follow the typical tank cycling nitrogen compound peaks and declines for you ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.
Just a theory -

biggdriver

I have never had any luck with biozyme or any other bacterial additive...Let it cycle for a while longer ..It may take a couple of weeks longer but eventually The ammonia levels will have to drop..Taking out a couple of shrimp will probably help speed up the cycle though..