cycling

weasertt

am i cycling correctly. Im 10 days in and my ammonia is at .25, my nitrites are really high like at 5 and my nitrates are at about 20. does that see about right using damsels to cycle it. About how much longer do you think it will take.

reefnut

Damsels :scared:
Your nitrates seem to be a little high for only being halfway through the cycle IMO but that can be easily fixed after the cycle. What size tank and how many damsels??

troyw806

Please take the damsels back to the lfs until your tank has cycled for more than two weeks. It is tooooo cruel to put those fish in there. Would feel like someone trapping you ina room full smokers with no windows!!!!!!!!

newfishguy

I agree. However, I am new to this hobby as well and have read several books that tell you to cycle your tank with damsels. If I would have never found this board I probably would have done the same. :notsure:
Originally Posted by troyw806
Please take the damsels back to the lfs until your tank has cycled for more than two weeks. It is tooooo cruel to put those fish in there. Would feel like someone trapping you ina room full smokers with no windows!!!!!!!!

reefnut

True enough... most LFS's still recommend using damsels. Fact is, cycling with damsels was once the preferred method for many hobbyists. Now days we know it's not nessesary... and considered cruel by some.
weasertt, do you have a skimmer?? If so, turn it on... normally I don't like running a skimmer or doing water changes during the cycle because it can prolong the cycle but with the 5 damsels, both would help keep your levels down.
Now days I'm a big advocate of fishless cycles but truthfully I cycled my first tank years ago with damsels because that's what I was told to do by my LFS... so don't worry about it... live and learn... just try to keep them comfortable or consider returning them.

weasertt

i do have a skimmer and now ive turned it on. According to my LFS the damsels will have no problem surviving the cycle. And to be honest I kinda like them. SO i plan on keeping them after I cycle. Of course Ill be adding some others but im not gonna just get rid of them. So am I like half way through?

newfishguy

Your right, they can survive it. However, that does not mean they like it.
Originally Posted by weasertt
i do have a skimmer and now ive turned it on. According to my LFS the damsels will have no problem surviving the cycle. And to be honest I kinda like them. SO i plan on keeping them after I cycle. Of course Ill be adding some others but im not gonna just get rid of them. So am I like half way through?

reefnut

Survival isn't the issue... although they can easily die if the ammonia/nitrites get to high... damsels are just famous for being hardy fish.
I would say your about 1/2 way through...

weasertt

ok guys tested this morning.
nitrites .25
nitrates 10
ammonia close to 0 right between 0 and .25
ph 7.8
is my progress good? and how much longer do you think?