CYCLING

coolperson

HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE
(MINIMUM)FOR THE TANK TO FINISH CYCLING
IVE GOT 4 DAMSELS
1 DOG FACE
50 GALLON BEEN GOING FOR 2 WEEKS

marc42fe

This is about the stage Im at too. 100 gal, 80 lbs of cc, 100 lbs steralized play sand, 12lbs of lr, no test kit yet, as I believe that will cause me to f*&# with things too much, so Im waiting till I know my cycle is done (like 4 more weeks) before I buy a kit.
Ph and salinity are great 7.9 and 1.023. my question is is this process the same for reef and agressive tanks, or will the live rock and coral be toxic to my banded sharks (eventually) or can I run a small coral colony at one end of the tank? I had kind of envisioned blocking a small section of the tank off for for crabs and shrimp and some smaller fish. Do I need crabs to cycle too? My lfs looked at me like I was crazy when I told her I wanted to cycle with crabs."how much you want to spend on food" If I go with sharks is that it? will they eat everything that won't eat them?
Im lost with lots of time to look at the map before I move.
this is such a cool site. thanks
marc

desert fish

First- the best method I've found for cycling a tank is uncured live rock (Walt Smith). Use a bacteria culture such as Hyiatt. Most tanks will cycle within three weeks. This way you don't sacrifice any animals ( walt Smith is aquacultured and usually has few hitchhikers). Having a deep sand bed 1.5 # of aragonite sand/tank gallon and 1.5 # live rock/tank gallon will give you a very stable system.
You should probably rethink having even one shark in anything smaller than a 250 tank. They simply need more room.
That said coral won't hurt the shark but water quality will be VERY hard to maintain at a level for coral to live. Any inverts in the tank are a good meal for a hungry shark (hungry and shark can be considered synonyms.