cycling

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Yes you can. In fact, by using live rock only you won't face any fish motalities in the cycling processes. Live rock also seems to cycle things faster. Are you going to start back up now after your resent disaster?
PS: Make sure its cured live rock, though.
[This message has been edited by beth (edited 03-27-2000).]

kris

Thanks, beth for verifying. Now I've got another question? (strange, I feel kinda weird asking questions now that I'm a "shark") Anyway----In another post I indicated that I was under the impression live rock could only survive out of water for 4-6 hrs, but ranger says up to 24hrs. Now we all know that the bacteria in our filters can 't possibly survive even half that amount of time-So the question is what makes the bacteria in rock so different from the bacteria in our filter media??
And yes I finally tore down the tank and decided to take advantage of the disaster by trading in that tank on a bigger and better one.
[This message has been edited by Kris (edited 03-27-2000).]

the rock

the rock says...
live rock kept in a dim and cool area can last for a really long time without being under water. yes, cycling a tank with live rock is a great way to go, cured or uncured. most of the rock available is pretty much cured anyhow, its the rock with a lot of sponges on them that cause a problem. the live rock that is available is usually so porous and has so many crevices that it allows for huge amounts of bacteria that stays damp and it just plain survives