Cycling

chadman

when i first set up my 30g it took 2-3 months of cycling before everything got to zeros....i didn't know what i was doing though and had added five fish the day after i initially put water in mytank...thanks lfs!!

bruder

I've heard some tanks take 2 weeks. I've heard some tanks take 3 months. I've even heard, but doubted, a 24 hour cycle.
There are too many factors that play into a cycle to put a set time on it. However, I think most would agree that the 4-7 week period is a reasonable timeframe.

chadman

you could try adding a natural cycle product which adds the bacteria and such to yoru tank...we cycled my gfriends 55g in a week or so using that product and the levels have been good ever since...

bang guy

8 weeks is not out of the question but it is unusual. Do you have enough waterflow? Have you been changing the water regularly?

larryndana

did you leave a piece of shrimp in until you got a ammonia spike, then took it out. or did you just leave it in?

treblehook

i left in and the ammonia has been 0 for at least 3 weeks. No nitrates but the brown diatoms are now in full force. No sign of the nitrite dipping though.
maybe week 9 will be the week. i sure hope so.

larryndana

i believe you could have took the raw shrimp out after ammonia spiked, this might be why its taking so long.