Cycling

aries3

I recently set up my tank about a week ago and was wondering how long i have to let my tank cycle for and is it even necessary. Thanks:)

carrie1429

Generally it takes about 4-6 weeks for a tank to cycle. Sometimes less, sometimes more. You can make it cycle faster if you add live rock and/or live sand in. Or you can buy grocery shirmp to help it cycle too. Even after all your levels are fine I would still wait a little while before adding fish, its always good to be patient with saltwater :D

dreeves

Your tank will cycle when it cycles. No faster then that. When the Nitrites are back to 0 then it has cycled.
Do not try and rush your cycling. In fact, do not try and rush anything with your marine tank. Slower is better in all aspects of this hobby...

aries3

No I havent purchased a test kit and i set it up last tuesday. What is the name of the test kit so i can go out and buy one, thanks.

E

elan

i would buy the following test kits.
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
pH
for the first three, a simple inexpensive kit would be fine.
For the pH, i would get something more accurate.
You can search on "test kits" and see what people have said about different kinds of manufacturers. I like salifert myself for the more accurate and hagen for the simple to use nonaccurate models..

col

Have you kick started the cycle with something or have you just added the water (and salt etc).

col

To start the cycle you need a source of ammonia. Some people use a raw shrimp, it will rot and start the cycle.
I would start researching b4 you think of adding livestock.

luvnluk

I agree with col....nothing will happen with your cycle until you you add a source of ammonia (waste product). Alot of people used to start with damsels, however, it is now preferred that you start and complete the cycle with a raw shrimp from the grocery store....and I've heard of some people just adding fish food and letting it decompose. Either way, get a test kit and wait until the Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are 0...also, make sure Ph is wfl