Cyno and activated carbon

domsbuddy

I've been battling a cyno problem by lowering my nitrates. Nitrates are under control - less than 5 ppm but I still have the cyno. It's better but still comes back after I suck it out with water changes. I haven't bothered with a phosphate test because I've read that low phosphates may be due to the algae absorbing the phosphates. I also read that carbon may help with a cyno problem. Since I haven't been using any carbon at all, I am going to start. I've ordered some of the boyd chem pure products. Any hope that this will help?

subielover

I like chemi-pure and think it may help. I also run rowaphos to help keep phosphates at zero. Are you using ro water? Does your tank have adequate flow? Are you overfeeding?

domsbuddy

Thanks everyone for responding.
I have alot of flow. And cyno growing where flow is direct - go figure. I'm using RO/DI water. And I feed only once per day. I'm trying to grow macro algae but I'm not very happy with my crp refugium. If I increase the flow it wants to overflow, if I decrease it than the water gets stagnant. So my macralgae growing area needs some attention.
I'm also adding poly filters to hopefully help with any phosphate problems.