cyno

hot883

Adding a powerhead sometimes works as well as NOT overfeeding. It's also called "new tank" syndrom. They will go away with time, but adding a powerhead or redirecting existing ones help.

cptrigger

I added another power head and even redirected them a couple times and it seems to have gotten worse for me. Should I keep moving the power heads or does anyone have a better idea? I've never had this problem when I had my previous tank about 8 years ago.
CPT

merredeth

Originally Posted by dfm34
Just in case anyone was wondering I am his dad and I am not sure either

Hey Dad!
Actually, I was thinking if he REALLY wanted to know the answer he needs to go to his mother... you know, the smarter female gender?

Denise M. <---who is not married to "Dad" and claiming another son!!

saltn00b

vaccum syphon out what is there, cut your lighting period down, check your levels,
feed less for the time being and... check to ensure your tank turnover gph is 10-20 X your tank volume.

dfm34

Originally Posted by Merredeth
Hey Dad!
Actually, I was thinking if he REALLY wanted to know the answer he needs to go to his mother... you know, the smarter female gender?

Denise M. <---who is not married to "Dad" and claiming another son!!

well I checked with mom and she doesn't know what to do either. But I will say this ,my tank is 3 1/2 months old, I use RODI water , have cut down my feeding to every other day add a power head accross the front of the tank. ALso have cut my full Daylight lights donw by an hour to 6 hrs. My levels are AM 0 Trites 0 Trate 5 Phos >.3 close to 0. It seems not to be getting worse but it is not getting better?
I also want to qualify the outbreak with it is only a few small patches in the sand but I am trying not to let it get out of hand. I guess it just needs to run its course as it is a new tank.
Thanks for everyones help.

merredeth

Originally Posted by dfm34
well I checked with mom and she doesn't know what to do either. But I will say this ,my tank is 3 1/2 months old, I use RODI water , have cut down my feeding to every other day add a power head accross the front of the tank. ALso have cut my full Daylight lights donw by an hour to 6 hrs. My levels are AM 0 Trites 0 Trate 5 Phos >.3 close to 0. It seems not to be getting worse but it is not getting better?
I also want to qualify the outbreak with it is only a few small patches in the sand but I am trying not to let it get out of hand. I guess it just needs to run its course as it is a new tank.
Thanks for everyones help.

Here is a link that will give you more ideas to get rid of it.
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/show...=cyno+bacteria
Hope it helps you out.
Denise M. <---- a mom who at least pretends to know everything!