Cynobacteria Problem...

nick76

Well somehow my hair algae problem turned into a cynobacteria problem...its starting to spread on patches all over my rocks. Im ready to do something about it, switching to R/O water mainly instead of tap water which im sure is the cause of the problem. How do I go about switching to R/O? just use Ro when I top off and do water changes? Is there anything else I can do to make this stuff go away? Im already using 2 maxijet1200s for flow, one at each end of my 55. Is that not enough flow?

40 galons

well i assume the tap would be a major part of the cyano, top offs and water changes should be enough.Maybe try a larger water change then youre usual the first couple of water changes.

weberian

In addition to the above, I would try to make sure your calcium and alkalinity are right on - I believe that helps.
What are you feeding and how often?
I've heard lights off for 2-3 days can do wonders.

snaredrum

Water changes, Reduce lighting, reduce feeding. I just had this problem and I used Antired. It got rid of the cyno overnight. The problem is that I've been nursing my zoo's back. My xenia's look bad. I have done 3 20% water changes and finally, things are shaping up. I would try to reframe from using chemicals if you can. They are always there for the last resort. Just my 2 cents.

nick76

Originally Posted by Snaredrum
Water changes, Reduce lighting, reduce feeding. I just had this problem and I used Antired. It got rid of the cyno overnight. The problem is that I've been nursing my zoo's back. My xenia's look bad. I have done 3 20% water changes and finally, things are shaping up. I would try to reframe from using chemicals if you can. They are always there for the last resort. Just my 2 cents.

Ok Thanks guys, ive been reducing feedings and light time from 12 hours to 9-10 hours a day, that seems 2 be helping. Antired? is that a med? Reef-safe? Last resort of course.
Im gonna buy an R/O Unit. and well see what happens.

snaredrum

Yes Antired is reef safe and a Med. It's German so everything is in mL and the like for dosing. I would for sure try the natural method first with the water changes, lighting, feeding and see what happens.

nick76

Well its been a good week and a half when ive reduced lighting cut back on feedings, manually removed some of the blackish purple cyno, but it keeps growing back, I think i may need to carefully purchase and use some cyno meds. Ive herd good things about Antired and Chemi-Clean from users on this board but both meds say red slime cyno? Will it kill my black cyno?

bpaul1201

ok a lil info for you.....
The Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crab or simply Blue Leg Hermit Crab, has blue legs with red banding. Both claws are of equal size, and members of this genus are sometimes called "Equal-handed Hermit Crabs." This tiny crab lives in abandoned snail shells, or it may attack and eat the snail, then use the shell for its home.
The Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crab is a valuable addition to an aquarium because it will eat algae including green hair algae
and cyanobacteria
. In addition, it provides valuable aeration by sifting through the sand. It is one of the Hermit Crabs that is reef-safe.

If insufficient algae is present, the Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crab will need to be fed dried seaweed.
and this pretty much goes for all the hermit crabs that are in the aquarium hobby.