daffodils

osuaquarist

So we live in a pretty bad area, and are students but we wanted to get our yard looking better so we hollowed out a huge stump in our front yard and planted daffodils from lowes in it. However they had already bloomed and started to wilt maybe from a lack of water? Anyway they havn't really bounced back it's been like 4 days since we did it. some of them just lay on their sides while others stick up. advice? Should I cut them off?

nel621

You answered your own question,they had already bloomed.You can cut the spent bloom and the bulb will start to store energy for next year or leave the spent bloom in which case it will go to seed and spread.In any case leave them in the soil in the stump,they will return next year.Do not cut the leaves until they are yellow.Plant annuals around them for color.

darknes

Daffodils only bloom once and then they're done for the year. The bulbs will also probably freeze over winter and die. I'd recommend buying some type of summer-flowering annual and planting it there.

osuaquarist

ok, thanks for the advice guys. I'll let them go to seed so they spread because my roomate adores them and it will look really nice full of daffodils. I live off of 16th past 4th by the way alyssia.

babyb

the guy that owned our house before us owned a nursery and just threw a ton of there bulbs out in the yard and they are everywhere and are so pretty when they bloom, it sucks that there only once a year bloomers cuz there so many different kind in the yard