Dale Earndardt Jr. is going to...

ruaround

Hendrick Motor Sports... this is the last team i wanted him to join... cant stand gordon or johnson... supposedly kyle bush and Jr. are basically gonna switch teams...

the j.o.p.

he's going to get paid by Hendrick to drive. and he still owns like 49% of DEI. so he's going to get paid next year!!!!!!!!!!!!

rbaldino

Originally Posted by The J.O.P.
he's going to get paid by Hendrick to drive. and he still owns like 49% of DEI. so he's going to get paid next year!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm not certain that he still owns any part of DEI; they may have negotiated a buyout when he left.
I am a bit surprised he's going to Hendrick. He's basically agreeing - for the time being, anyway - to play third fiddle to Gordon and Johnson. And I'm a bit surprised Hendrick is getting rid of Busch. They've invested quite a bit in him so far, and he's won races for them. Don't know why they'd keep Mears over Busch.
Now that he's going to have the best cars around, I guess we'll see if Junior is really any good, or just not in the same league as Gordon and Johnson...

stanlalee

Originally Posted by rbaldino
He's basically agreeing - for the time being, anyway - to play third fiddle to Gordon and Johnson. And I'm a bit surprised Hendrick is getting rid of Busch. They've invested quite a bit in him so far, and he's won races for them. Don't know why they'd keep Mears over Busch.
He will be playing second fiddle in the way a star football player or basketball player joins a new team and says in a press conference "I just want to fit in and help the team". Yeah right he's the most popular driver in Nascar, now probably one of the best paid and will bring in the most sponsors $$ to that team. Even though his actual driving career pales in comparison to jeffs and Johnsons for all practical purposes they have created an all star team. only Mears will be playing 2nd fiddle. I wouldn't be suprised if Busch got the boot just because they felt four high profile drivers might be too many ego's on one team and with what they have they dont really lack anything witout him.

scotts

One person asked Rick Hendrick in the news conference if he was the NASCAR equivalent of the Ney York Yankees.

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by baloo6969
i bet his old man i turning in his grave
I don't know much about NASCAR at all, but I think I know enough to completely agree with that comment!

rbaldino

Originally Posted by Stanlalee
He will be playing second fiddle in the way a star football player or basketball player joins a new team and says in a press conference "I just want to fit in and help the team". Yeah right he's the most popular driver in Nascar, now probably one of the best paid and will bring in the most sponsors $$ to that team. Even though his actual driving career pales in comparison to jeffs and Johnsons for all practical purposes they have created an all star team. only Mears will be playing 2nd fiddle. I wouldn't be suprised if Busch got the boot just because they felt four high profile drivers might be too many ego's on one team and with what they have they dont really lack anything witout him.
If Gordon, Johnson, and Junior are coming down to the checkered flag at Daytona - in that order - who do you think Hendrick is going to give priority to? Gordon is already sensitive about the way Jimmy sometimes races him, I can't see him being less so with Junior.

rbaldino

Originally Posted by baloo6969
i bet his old man i turning in his grave
Than his old man should have left the team to Junior in his will.

stanlalee

If Gordon, Johnson, and Junior are coming down to the checkered flag at Daytona - in that order - who do you think Hendrick is going to give priority to? Gordon is already sensitive about the way Jimmy sometimes races him, I can't see him being less so with Junior.
Jimmy and Dale are on a whole different level of popularity and pull. I dont think Hendricks will give a damn about Jeffs sensitivity given the draw Dale is and how much more him winning will enhance the only reason they would bother to disrupt their team to begin with, more capital. Otherwise the whole move makes no sense what so ever. They'll be starting a fresh season and if Jeff doesn't win the cup this year it will be a huge disappointment and I doubly think the focus will be on Earnhart getting on track. With the press and attention he'll be getting starting with the new team Hendrick will have no choice as the sport itself will dictate it happens that way. Thats what everybody wants to see and the sport is more money/spotlight driven than ever. If Jeff wins the championship everything is roses (most popular and current champion on the same team). I dont think there's any more or less pressure to give either one priority unless it comes from the drivers. Just listening to Dale thats what he fully expects as he put it "Earnharts are always driven to beat jeff gordon". He also stated after the move being a race car driver you have to feel like your the best driver and he feels like he is. those arent the words of someone conceding to be 2nd fiddle.
Did Dale Sr actually have a wil giving the step mom ownership or did she just assume ownership being his spouse? If so given what jr had vested into racing and being flesh and blood that would be unsettling given the way things turned out. You would think Dale jr negotiating a contract with DEI should be as easy as negotiating with himself.

rbaldino

I dont think there's any more or less pressure to give either one priority unless it comes from the drivers.
Exactly. Do you think a 4-time champ (Gordon) or the defending champ (Johnson) are going to let Junior step in on equal terms? I doubt it. Given their seniority over Junior, they're most likely going to expect to be the main guys on the team, weary of Junior getting better cars and better sponsors than them. And everyone is assuming Bud is coming over with Junior, which may not be the case.

Did Dale Sr actually have a wil giving the step mom ownership or did she just assume ownership being his spouse? If so given what jr had vested into racing and being flesh and blood that would be unsettling given the way things turned out. You would think Dale jr negotiating a contract with DEI should be as easy as negotiating with himself.
If Senior didn't have a will, then it's his own fault. Then again, maybe he didn't bother because he wanted his wife to take over. Everyone is assuming that Senior would have favored Junior over his own wife, and I don't know if that's the case. After all, she did help him get his life together and build the company.

stanlalee

Exactly. Do you think a 4-time champ (Gordon) or the defending champ (Johnson) are going to let Junior step in on equal terms? I doubt it.
Again I think Hendrick by booting Kyle off and disrupting team focus signing Dale to a five year deal smack dab in Jeff's Gordons best season in years gives a pretty good indication what Hendricks cares about his drivers feelings.
1rst lets just drop jimmie johnson from the equation. I think Dale comes in higher priority than Jimmie. Even with is one Nascar championship he is just small fries compared to Dale. B list celebrity or how ever you want to classify it. If Jimmie wins every race next year he still can not draw a fraction of what Dale can even if he doesn't win a race all next year. What ever sponsor is on Dales car the camera's all next year and the press all next year are going to be in Dales face. That is more important than anything Jimmy has to offer. If Jimmie is not in the top one or two in points you wont hear a peep about him next year. Already in every media outlet its all about how Dale and Gordon will get along and compete. Nobody cares how Jimmie will play out in all this.
2nd with a team like this I just dont think its a matter of getting better cars ect. Info and technology will be shared within the team. The only possibility of seniority can be who gets the most experienced crew, crew chief and auxillary staffing. Jeff and Jimmie's crews are already established and will not change. Dale coming to a new team regardless of who's on it would have to learn a new system and mesh with new people. The only way seniority can play out is Gordon leading with Dale in 2nd and Hendricks on the radio shouting "Dale pull back!" That will happen when hell freezes over as long as Dale remains the most popular driver in Nascar history.
What ever the case time will tell. even if Dale plays nice for the 1rst year by year two he will become a full share deckha...(oh wait too much deadliest catch lol). On a side note I do think your theory is exactly why Busch got the boot. I can see Gordon now "one must go...Busch....yeah...no yesterday is not too soon".

shogun323

My understanding is that Kyle isnt getting booted off the team. It has been said before and announced yesterday that Kyle had been wanting out of his contract so it's a win win situation.

rbaldino

Again I think Hendrick by booting Kyle off and disrupting team focus signing Dale to a five year deal smack dab in Jeff's Gordons best season in years gives a pretty good indication what Hendricks cares about his drivers feelings.
1rst lets just drop jimmie johnson from the equation. I think Dale comes in higher priority than Jimmie. Even with is one Nascar championship he is just small fries compared to Dale. B list celebrity or how ever you want to classify it. If Jimmie wins every race next year he still can not draw a fraction of what Dale can even if he doesn't win a race all next year. What ever sponsor is on Dales car the camera's all next year and the press all next year are going to be in Dales face. That is more important than anything Jimmy has to offer. If Jimmie is not in the top one or two in points you wont hear a peep about him next year. Already in every media outlet its all about how Dale and Gordon will get along and compete. Nobody cares how Jimmie will play out in all this.
2nd with a team like this I just dont think its a matter of getting better cars ect. Info and technology will be shared within the team. The only possibility of seniority can be who gets the most experienced crew, crew chief and auxillary staffing. Jeff and Jimmie's crews are already established and will not change. Dale coming to a new team regardless of who's on it would have to learn a new system and mesh with new people. The only way seniority can play out is Gordon leading with Dale in 2nd and Hendricks on the radio shouting "Dale pull back!" That will happen when hell freezes over as long as Dale remains the most popular driver in Nascar history.
What ever the case time will tell. even if Dale plays nice for the 1rst year by year two he will become a full share deckha...(oh wait too much deadliest catch lol). On a side note I do think your theory is exactly why Busch got the boot. I can see Gordon now "one must go...Busch....yeah...no yesterday is not too soon".
All that may be true, but you're missing my point. Do you think Gordon or Johnson are going to be happy letting Junior take over as the most popular driver on the team, the one Hendrick favors because he can (potentially) bring in more sponsor dollars? Do you think they'll step aside and say "Go for it, Junior. You're the man now."? I doubt it. They could decide to race him harder than anyone else. And if he fails to perform but is still treated like the man, Gordon and Johnson could decide to just bolt, leaving Hendrick with great sponsors but an average driver who's never won a championship.

Originally Posted by shogun323
My understanding is that Kyle isnt getting booted off the team. It has been said before and announced yesterday that Kyle had been wanting out of his contract so it's a win win situation.
He may not be getting booted, but i believe his attitude at Texas, by leaving the track while his car was being fixed and Junior getting the call to drive, led to the current events. That coupled with his "win or crash" driving style pushed Hendrick to allow him to explore other options. Mears is an up and coming star, but dont expect him to be in the 25. I predict that Jr. will get the 25 and bring Budweiser with him as they sponsored the 25 in the late 90's with Ricky Craven, Ken Schrader, and Wally Dallenbach.
Hendrick is trying to build a "Dynasty" team, but as was said before, with a good car will Jr. shine?

ruaround

just found out a couple pieces of info about DEI... Theresa Earnhardt has always owned 51% of the company and the remaining 49% has always belonged to the Earnhardt children... also the #8 once belonged to Dale Sr.'s dad (Ralph Earnhardt) and in NASCAR's eyes only Dale Jr. can be in the #8... so if DEI doenst agree to let the #8 go no one will race that #...

ruaround

starting in 2008 each race team will be allowed 4 cars... Kyle Bush's contract is up and Mears was just signed this year... that is why Bush is the one to go... and probably his attitude...