Damn, He Jumped Ship...

squidd

Came home late yesterday and while feeding the "Boys" I didn't see my Harliquin Tusk (lights out in tank)...
Looked around this morning and there he was all dried out on the floor...:eek:
That Sucks...I waited almost 6 months after seeing my first one at the LFS and deciding I wanted one, till I found one to purchase...

conogre

Sorry....we've almost all been there, done that.
I went to Home Depot and got the flourescent light plastic egg crating and made tops for all my tanks, which has been a big assist.

squidd

Yeah, I thought about that (or glass tops)...But that would really hinder my sticking my fingers in the tank to "Pet my Puffer" and some such...:D

conogre

I used a Dremmel to cut the whole length so that the front portion just lifts right off for feeding, petting and all those other things that require the presence of a "handfish".

squidd

Originally posted by Conogre
... and all those other things that require the presence of a "handfish".

You mean like a "Five Fingered Blennie"...:D

fishtanker

i'm sorry to hear that Squidd...i found my SF eel on the floor this morning. he was still alive and i put him back in but i guess the stress was to much for him...he passed away

L

lionfish18

Mine jumped out last night and i found him in the closet after about 15 minutes and it looks like he is doing fine now. He did shed some white slimey stuff though.

harlequin

They coat themselves with a slimy cocoon which holds in the moisture when out of water, They can live for a very long period of time, I have read 8 or nine hours but my LFS says one of their other customers claimed most of a day. Just takes them a little while to wake back up again. Just a form of aestavation(s?) i think.

wocka

conogre, i live in west palm beach florida and the beach by me has some of those fish out on the reef, what kind of fish is that in ur hand? and what do they eat

conogre

Hey Wocka, that's a blenny, a variety known as a "Molly Miller" (don't know what they call the males!**grin**)NOT the peceful little algae eater, but a little tiger who'll guard a cave instead.
Great for community tanks as a "one of" fish, rarely two in bigger tanks, but a little belligerant with each other.

wocka

awesome, i see those all the time at this little reef, would i be able to get a 1" one and put in a 22g with 2 clowns? i caught a similar type fish like that ( dont know the name ) but it was 3" so it created havock in the tank. there are pretty cool tho!

conogre

I'm not sure what you mean by "created" havock", but if you're saying they can stand up to a pair of Clownfish, often pretty territorial in their own right, yep, that's the fish alright.
They're also perfect for a "revenge" fish on that little damsel that many bought to cycle their tanks (I use Mollies myself...MUCH more mellow) and that has been terrorizing everything else since.
They really don't know what to make of a fish that won't run.
I suggest playing the CD "Eye of the Tiger" while introducing it to your tank!

wocka

haha
do u think i would be able to keep one in? becuase the other one i had was a big pirate creating havock. he would chase after anything in the tank and bite a blue damsels tail and latch on.. good times

conogre

Feeding them chunk food, such as small pieces of shrimp helps.
They have quite the appetite and tend to get more aggressive when they are hungry....then again, so do I!
I keep them regularly....whenever you put your hand in the tank, they are in it ASAP, checking between fingers and such for hidden tidbits...it takes them 7.3 seconds to figure out where the food comes from!

wocka

do they eat any algae? i think im gonna catch a small one next time i go to the beach. would he be more aggressive to clown fish if i added the blenny first?

innsmouth

My tusk died from ich/hypo not long ago. Really sucks. not only was it really beautiful but it was really expensive.