Dampier grouper?

phoenix az

I was at ***** yesterday and saw what was called a dampier grouper for sale for a reasonable price I usually don't consider ***** as a good place to go to buy fish but the fish has been there for over a month and looked very healthy. I can't find any information about these guys. how big will it grow? does anybody know? it's a neat specimen about 5 inches long with some cool pink green and purples with these really cool evil orange eyes. I have it in my tank with a 10 inch lion fish that has been staring him down all of yesterday. I actully fed my lion fish yesterday and it ran out and ate only about 3 hours after he was released into the tank! does anyone know anything about this dampier and is it a good match for my lion fish?

phoenix az

that's it. not really shy though usually swims around and has a interest in ppl whenever he sees someone goes to that side of the tank and gives u a 1000 yeard stare with glaring evil orange eyes. mine doesn't have those stripes though. have you heard of this species before?

srfisher17

I think this is a dottyback, not really a grouper. I would not be surprised if it became lunch for your lionfish. A 10" lion is certainly capable of eating most 5" fish.
Edit: Just checked SWF.com; they sell these as red dottybacks, for $9.99. Leave it to ***** to call a dottyback a grouper.

95harley

Originally Posted by srfisher17
http:///forum/post/2952502
I think this is a dottyback, not really a grouper. I would not be surprised if it became lunch for your lionfish. A 10" lion is certainly capable of eating most 5" fish.
+1, soon to be an expensive treat. Your lion will be 15" before that Dottyback reachs 6".

phoenix az

ha ha it was 15 dollars not all that expensive. i had frank (the lion) with a trigger fish about an inch and a half smaller then the grouper and he never attempted to eat him. I will admit frank is a bottomless pit he eats anything. it's a dottyback? do they get any bigger?

srfisher17

Originally Posted by Phoenix Az
http:///forum/post/2952535
ha ha it was 15 dollars not all that expensive. i had frank (the lion) with a trigger fish about an inch and a half smaller then the grouper and he never attempted to eat him. I will admit frank is a bottomless pit he eats anything. it's a dottyback? do they get any bigger?
It won't get much bigger & probably won't grow very fast. Lions often leave triggers alone; because of the locking trigger fin that can choke predators. In time, many triggers will end up shredding the lion.

phoenix az

I guess we'll just see what happens then. the trigger grew very slow and never really messed with frank. are triggers immune to the lions sting? wouldn't nipping at it's fins sting the trigger?

srfisher17

Originally Posted by Phoenix Az
http:///forum/post/2952549
I guess we'll just see what happens then. the trigger grew very slow and never really messed with frank. are triggers immune to the lions sting? wouldn't nipping at it's fins sting the trigger?
They're not immune. But, most of the lions fins are not venomous and the triggers are very quick. Triggers & lions are often kept together (usually short-term), they sound like a natural combination. This is a very common topic on this forum and horror stories of killed lions are common. IMO, they just don't belong together.

phoenix az

I haven't had him with the humu in about 2 months now. he's by himself with the exception of the dottyback I just bought which he looks at with curiousity. i hope its just curiousity and not hunger at least ha ha