Damsel and Rabbitfish white stuff

markc212

Need some assistance identifying what this is. Just noticed it today, pretty sure it wasn't on them yesterday. The pics aren't great, but the best I can do since they move so fast.
The rabbitfish has a touch of frayed dorsal fin and tail, with some white-ish stuff.

The damsel has a lot of white streaks on one side and one fin.

No rapid breathing, and it doesn't seem like there's been much change in behavior (though the damsel might seem a bit more shy than usual). Water parameters generally look good.
Please help. I'm thinking this might be lymphocyctis, but I'm totally not sure. It's definitely NOT ick as I've had that before and I'm too intimately familiar with that.
Mark.

markc212

salinity: 1.026
pH: 8.2
Nitrates: 10
kH: 7
So after checking my parameters, I'm feeling like I'm a little off in numerous places. The funny thing is that a couple of days later, most of the symptoms on both fish have almost disappeared. The rabbitfish has no signs of any white stuff on his fins anymore. The damsel still has a bit of residual stuff on his body, but his fins look completely back to normal.
In the meantime, I've raised lowered the salinity and nitrates with water changes, and I've tried to raise the kH a bit. Still working on the latter.
Question: Is it possible that my cleaner shrimp has helped the rabbitfish get rid of the lymphocyctis (at least temporarily)? I've never seen a damsel approach the cleaner shrimp, so I doubt he'd help there.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
The fish were stressed by something, and lympho raised its ugly head. Not unheard of that it suddenly appears, and just as quickly disappears. They will always have the condition however.