Damsel questions

just a nano

I know that damsels tend to be rather aggressive fish. How are they if all the fish in your tank are damsels? The tank would have many hiding places. Is having 3 or 4 damsels - all the same kind, about the same as having one of 3 or 4 different kinds of damsels?

tank a holic

either way they'll establish their own pecking order
but usually fish of the same species are more agressive toward eachother than toward other species
my damsel is the most timid fish in my tank

just a nano

So it sounds like 3 damsels of different types is better than 3 damsels of the same kind..... Thats what I was hoping as looking at 3 different looking fish is better than looking at 3 of the same fish.

flower

It won’t matter. As I understand it the only damsel that can dwell with each other is a mated pair, otherwise all others are killed and only one remains.
There are other aggressive fish they can be kept with and hold their own. Some folks on this site have success with them that way.
Sorry but I don’t know which ones…hopefully someone will pipe in.

just a nano

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3180557

It won’t matter. As I understand it the only damsel that can dwell with each other is a mated pair, otherwise all others are killed and only one remains.
Distressing to hear if thats the case. I was hoping to start them with a tank of relatively cheap fish (damsels are pretty inexpensive.) and have it be a damsels only tank.
Anyone with multiple damsel experience?

olemiss

I have damsels in my eel and mantis tanks. They are eaten too quickly in the eel tanks to learn anything but in my peacocks cube I have had the same 5 blue devils for around 2-3 months problem free. There is one with a blue tail that is definitely the boss(the other 4 have clear tails). There is some mild chasing but no noticeable biting or battle scars. I've never tried mixing damsels based on LFS advice.

flower

Originally Posted by Just a Nano
http:///forum/post/3180566
Distressing to hear if thats the case. I was hoping to start them with a tank of relatively cheap fish (damsels are pretty inexpensive.) and have it be a damsels only tank.
There are plenty of “cheap” fish. Clowns cost about the same as damsels, and Anthias are very pretty and not that expensive, they are not aggressive either.
Damsels are cheap because they are so mean. They not only are aggressive toward other fish, but bite you when you put your hand in the tank. They draw blood. When mature.

The cheap comes out expensive in this hobby. Purchasing livestock because it is cheap, cheats you out of so much. Save your money and buy something you like and really want.

chrisnif

Originally Posted by Just a Nano
http:///forum/post/3180566
I had 2 yellow tail blue damsels together and now I have 1 and the hermits had a meal...nuff said :)

tank a holic

see now I have an orange anthias and he's the most agressive fish I have....
and the damsel was there first

I have a 125 though, maybe in a smaller nano would be different
+1 on the clowns though
as for them, get no more than 2 and if you do get small ones at the same time
and if you havent already..... cycle your tank before you get ANY livestock