Damsels beware!

sethspst

I thought I would share this because of all the damsel terroizing tank stories.
I've had my 75 gllon for about 3 months, and my wife loves the way blue damsels look. I really didn't want to get one after reading about how they can be tank terrors. But after looking at diffent fish prices and what was available. I somewhat gave in. We went to the store and I still made it felt that I didn't want to put one in, but we got a blue damsel and yellowtail damsel, some of the smallest they had with the agreement that if they chased the other fish, they were going back. I acclimated them for 2 hours then put them in the tank right before we took the dogs for a walk. Whe we came back I went to the tank expecting the damsels to be chasing my other fish :scared: . When I looked in I saw that my lemonpeel (2") and strawberry baslet (3") had them both in a corner ***) . Through the rest of the evening the 2 damsels stayed in the corner, and every few minutes it seemed like the basslet or lemonpeel would come over and make sure the damsels were still there. During feeding time, the lemonpeel allowed them to eat, but after they were put back in there corner. They kept this up all night. During the whole ordeal Nemo just swam around the whole tank, minding his own business and going where ever he wanted. Just thought I'd share.

deelucky

i have a 4stripe damsel and he is a bit of a pain nothing to major,anyway i had a pair of false percs and they alway kept him in check.my female died fisrt due to a coral beauty with ick.so i bought another after a month,but then my older clown some how got spooked and jumped out the tank.
so now i have the one i recently bought so now the damsel bothers him seems playful at time but its still abuse none the less.everytime i put something new in it will go over to it and shake his tail on it corals,emerald crab(he stopped that real quick :hilarious anenome,scooter blenny.kinda of crazy i guess :thinking:

poniegirl

I have to agree with both. That is to say there is no "way" that these damsels "are". My yellow-tail is the loner and most picked on of my 60 gal. He's pretty good-natured about it and in retaliation (I think) he lives under the rock where the BTA resides. The clown seems to not care and the rest won't hang out there. Pretty sly, I'd say.
I believe there are infinite factors (partially driven by individual tank set ups) that cause fish to behave in the ways they do.

sethspst

I moved the tank about two weeks ago, and All the fish have stayed on one side till I added the damsels, and they are kept on a corner on the far side, with the lemonpeel and basslet patrolling the tank.

X

xoxox

Most people who 'cycle' with damsels find they have problems since they territorialize themselves and become brutes. If you introduce them to established tanks with bigger fish you find they are just, 'fresh fish'.

R

ramsey

I have the same story. I got a yellow tail damsel after the tank was done to see if it would live witch it did. So after 2 weeks I got a firefish and that damsel just chased the heck out of him until the firefish found a nice little cave to hide in but shortly after he died.
Around X-mas time I got 2 true perc clowns but i tried to make sure that they had a place to get away from him but within 2 days he had killed him both. So i had a sad X-mas that year

Originally Posted by Ramsey
I have the same story. I got a yellow tail damsel after the tank was done to see if it would live witch it did. So after 2 weeks I got a firefish and that damsel just chased the heck out of him until the firefish found a nice little cave to hide in but shortly after he died.
Around X-mas time I got 2 true perc clowns but i tried to make sure that they had a place to get away from him but within 2 days he had killed him both. So i had a sad X-mas that year

iv had a yelow tail for 2 years and he is very docile. my large maroon keeps him in check tho, that way he leaves my firefish alone

sethspst

Today they were all fine. Every once in a while the lemonpeel will chase them during feeding, but for the most part they don't chase each other anymore.

cripps72

Have 1 yellowtail he has acted fine w/the clowns and everything else but newest add was a purple pseudo. who last week put a nice mark on the yellowtails lips i think he may become the prob.

sethspst

I call mine a strawberry basslet (that's what the LFS sold him as) but I think he's a purple pseudo too. Mine is fine with the yellowtail now, but still nips the yellowtail some during feeding.