Damsels Digging Up Sand

aquarius31

IS THIS NORMAL? THEY ARE DIGGING UP SAND EVERYWHERE. I AM CYCLING MY TANK WITH 4 YELLOW-TAILED DAMSELS. I HAVE A 55G SW TANK. CAN ANYONE HELP ON THIS MATTER?

robb

YEP! Mine does the same. It fans it with it's tail. It has piles all over the place. It has caused some LR cave in's in the past so be careful if you have your LR stacked.

col

fraid so
Anything above 0 is bad for livestock. It should rise higher if it going to cycle properly.

aquarius31

Actually, it has already spiked higher than that. Now it's getting lower. I also plan to do a partial water change tonight.

col

ok looks like the damesls have survived.
I wouldn't change any water until after cycle complete.

benrock

Yes, you need to add water as it evaporates. Just make sure it's fresh water (RO/D) as the Salt does not evaporate out of the tank.

benrock

Yeah, salt does not evaporate so you don't want to add it to replace evaporated water. Just try not to ever let your water lever get too low as salanity will increase.

P

puffygrrl

The damsels don't dig to escape ammonia, the dig to make themselves areas to sleep. If you watch your damsels after you turn out the lights in the tank and room (they need to think their alone) you'll see them do this. they "dig" alittle hole using the fan method with their tail and then "sit" and there and "sleep". Mine do it all the time and my levels are all 0.

aquarius31

you make me feel so much better. I thought the little damsels were to suffer a great bit. I thought that's what they were doing.

robb

That is very normal. like I said I have one that does it day and night. He has dug passages under all my rockscape. All my levels are at 0.

liz

My little damsel fans the sand too, drives me crazy. Sand dunes all over the place. He seems to be perfectly healthy and happy, I've had him for about four months.
Liz

I have studdied my deamsel and when he does it, I think is to lift up derbiss or little fine critter or anything nutrient for him to eat that is on the sand bed, and also to sleep!... I guess this is O.K. since you need some sand movement in your tank...:rolleyes: