Damsels for cycling

salt life

As the title says, I don't understand why people suggest to use live fish to cycle a tank.. yes damsels are a hardy fish and can take more stress than other fish but they aren't meant for cycling tanks, no fish is. I read a couple of threads in the New hobbyists section, and a couple people said that damsels are a good choice for cycling a tank, horrible advice and IMO a thread should be started ant stickied at the top for proper cycling practices ( not sure if there is one, so my bad if there is..)
Point of this thread - just wondering where people come up with using a live fish, damsel or whatever other fish people use to cycle a tank, is the right thing to do and why they suggest it to new hobbyists.
Not trying to start an arguement or rant, just think it gets a little amusing reading some of the stuff people give as advice.

I think that cycling a tank with fish, damsels in particular, is just an old school practice that just hasn't quite died yet. People knew they needed ammonia to start the cycle and the most obvious source of ammonia was fish waste. You also have to keep in mind that in the past, people weren't nearly as concerned with animal rights or animal cruelty as they are these days.
That's my theory on the 'why' of it, anyway.

pumper

I don't understand this practice either. Their is so many other sources of ammonia... Urine, ammonia for cleaning, and rancid seafood. I usually seed my new tanks from one of my established systems otherwise I use a rancid shrimp or some portion of seafood.

sepulatian

Live rock works every time. You are going to buy rock anyway. Add the rock, let it cure in the tank, and cycle your tank at the same time. You do need to keep the ammonia under 1PPM though to keep the life on your rock. If you buy cured rock then just ghost feed for a few weeks. It is very effective.

salt life

Originally Posted by ChaoticDamsel
http:///forum/post/2932374
I think that cycling a tank with fish, damsels in particular, is just an old school practice that just hasn't quite died yet. People knew they needed ammonia to start the cycle and the most obvious source of ammonia was fish waste. You also have to keep in mind that in the past, people weren't nearly as concerned with animal rights or animal cruelty as they are these days.
That's my theory on the 'why' of it, anyway.
true, i can agree with that. But newer people on the site and people with a decent post count who have been around still suggest using this method, just not sure why, we should all know better by now, right..?

salt life

Originally Posted by sepulatian
http:///forum/post/2932386
Live rock works every time. You are going to buy rock anyway. Add the rock, let it cure in the tank, and cycle your tank at the same time. You do need to keep the ammonia under 1PPM though to keep the life on your rock. If you buy cured rock then just ghost feed for a few weeks. It is very effective.
Agreed.

Originally Posted by Salt Life
http:///forum/post/2932387
true, i can agree with that. But newer people on the site and people with a decent post count who have been around still suggest using this method, just not sure why, we should all know better by now, right..?
Unfortunately, it seems like it is the bad habits/practices that are the hardest to kill. You would think people would know better by now, but apparently not.

nanomantis

Going against the flow here, I think cycling tanks with damsels is a perfectly acceptable practice.

Now here is an honest question. If damsels were no longer used to cycle tanks, would there still be a demand for them in the industry?

I know that my wife loves her damsels. I dont know why but she does. I used them to cycle my first tank, but only because i was told to do so by my lfs. On later tanks I used live rock and a table shrimp and it worked great.

snakeblitz33

If damsels were not used to cycle fish tanks, I don't think there would be much demand for them anymore.
I have cycled tanks with damsels before (only damsel I haven't used is a clownfish) It's really not that bad. Most people disagree with the method because it is inhumane to potentially kill or harm a small fish.
These days I am more for cycling a tank with a small piece of raw shrimp because it's cheaper then a $4 damsel.

jdl

to answer the question: they are used because waiting 3-6 weeks with an empty tank is boring. Living in the states, everyone wants it now. So using a damsel helps the need for 'now'.
no need to torture the fish....
the entire hobby is a torture to fish and the ocean, but that is another topic.

salt life

Originally Posted by NanoMantis
http:///forum/post/2932426
Going against the flow here, I think cycling tanks with damsels is a perfectly acceptable practice.

Now here is an honest question. If damsels were no longer used to cycle tanks, would there still be a demand for them in the industry?
I disagree with that. Damsels aren't meant just to cycle tanks and they aren't in the trade for just cycling. I know many people who have a variety of damsels in their tanks that were added after the cycle.
Patience is important in this hobby and if you can't wait a few weeks and deal with an empty tank then your just gonna continue with that bad habit throughout your whole hobby experience with fish.
But thank you for your input.

salt life

Originally Posted by JDL
http:///forum/post/2932631
to answer the question: they are used because waiting 3-6 weeks with an empty tank is boring. Living in the states, everyone wants it now. So using a damsel helps the need for 'now'.
the entire hobby is a torture to fish and the ocean, but that is another topic.
I didn't have a fish in my tank for 4 months. during that time I bought all my LR and did it how I liked it for the first time ( i've switched it many many times since then), but I understand what your saying, it isn't so fun to see an empty tank but I dont see whats fun about burning a fishs gills till it dies. Small fish or not, still a fish that we are taking out of the ocean and using for an inhumane practice.

pumper

I really wouldnt see the harm in going down the road from my house and catching a salt water cat or pinfish and dropping them in a tank to cycle it. Cat's and pinfish can live in nearly anything.

oldandtired

Besides potentially killing (or at least hurting) the damsils, when they survive cycling, they change to a real mean little fish.