Damsels hanging around on bottom, not very active

johnnyreb

Hey y'all,
Since I'm new, a little background on my history with fish. I have successfully kept and bred freshwater angels for the last several years. I recently gave away all of my freshwater fish and decided to give salt water a try. I've got a 120 gallon tank that's been running for almost 3 weeks now. The salinity is 1.023 and the ammonia appears to be right around .5ppm. Week one, I set the tank up, put in 2 40lb(I think) bags of Carribsea aragonite and one 20lb bag of live sand, filled the tank and added Instant Ocean then monitored the salinity and ammonia for one week. Week two I added 5 blue damsels that appeared to be thriving. Week three (this past tuesday) I added some crabs and snails. All appeared to be going well. One of the two fluval 404 filters (given to me by a friend) developed a leak around the lid a few days ago and after reading up on possible causes, I decided to lube the big o-ring in the lid. From the research I did online, it seemed that using petroleum jelly to lube the o-ring was iffy as to whether or not it was aquarium safe however, most people agreed that silicon grease (like used in plumbing) would be 100% safe. I picked up some silicon grease at Home Depot, lubed the o-ring, and that solved the leak problem. 24 hours later, all live stock still seemed to be doing well. I just got home from being out of town for 24 hours and flipped on the light on the tank to check in on everybody and all of the damsels were "crashed" on the bottom except for one that's hanging around the top of the heater. Of course I checked the temp and it's still at 75 degrees (right where it's been all along). I'm wondering if A. I introduced some disease when added the crabs and snails, B. There's something toxic in the silicon grease or C. I'm over reacting. I tried to see if the damsels would eat and one or two would take a bite and spit it right back out (this was only after the food had made it's way to the bottom). I remember when I was raising angels that the juvies would "bed down" on the bottom after things got dark so I'm wondering if I just caught the damsels in snooze mode. Their fins don't seem to be clamped or anything and the crabs and snails are moving around a lot soooooo? I don't know. Sorry for the long post but I wanted to give as many details as possible. Can someone please advise?
Thanks
David

johnnyreb

I just noticed that since I began writing this post, the damsels have become slightly more active but are still pretty much hanging around 1 or 2" off the bottom. They're usually all over the place. Except for the one that's hanging around the heater. (which may not mean much since it's been doing that off and on since I brought them home) Some are still grabbing food and spitting it out. Maybe I did over react?

flower

Here are all possible reasons for the fish acting as they are:
too early to put any fish in the tank. Your ammonia should have read 0.
Also damsels are mean as can be to each other...The one by the heater may have claimed the entire tank as his.
75 is too cold, the very lowest should be around 78 to 80, ideal is around 82 to 84 but most people keep the aquarium a little cool to slow problems that may occur. It gives more time to fix things going wrong because cooler temps mean slower metabolisms. But 75 is way too low. The low temps will stress the fish and open a door to all kinds of problems.
The grease may indeed be toxic. Run activated charcoal in the filter.

johnnyreb

Hi Flower,
Thanks for the response. Apparently I may have been over reacting because the next morning when I checked on them, they were absolutely fine and eating. I did bump the temp up a little per your recommendation. I think the thermometer I'm using may be a little off because I checked it against another thermometer and it was reading a little low. I'm wondering if Prime isn't causing me to get a false positive on the ammonia readings. I've heard it will do that. Thanks again, it appears all is well for the moment.

small triggers

do you have any live rock in the tank, or only the sand? and what in the world are you planning on keeping with 5 damsels?? anything?? Thats gonna make it hard. Plus, it could be cycling still or finnally cycling since you added the fish. What do you run in the canisters?

johnnyreb

Well, I wasn't really planning on keeping the damsels, at least not in this tank. If I'm successful at saltwater, I will probably start up a smaller saltwater tank for the damsels or just sell them. I know there are other ways to cycle the tank but, per LFS recommendation, I went with damsels. They didn't seem to think I'd have too much problem out of the damsels since I have a good sized tank. I don't have any live rock yet. I plan on adding that as $$ permits. The only thing I'm running in the filters right now is some of the blue and white cut to fit stuff in the area where the sponges usually go, nothing in the media baskets. The factory sponges were missing from the filters when they were given to me, I plan on replacing them soon though. Once I'm sure the tank is cycled, I'll probably go with the typical stuff, clowns, tangs, gobies, blennies etc. Is there a cheap way to get around shucking out major bucks for "live" rock? Wouldn't any rock be "live" once it's been in the tank long enough? With the sand I went with a mixture of live and not live sand and eventually all of the sand will be live. Can you do the same thing with rock?

mantisman51

I keep two green and two 3 stripe damsels in a 125g reef tank with 5 other fish and they are perfect inhabitants. They bicker with each other on occasion, but other than chasing new fish from their territory the first couple days, have not had any aggression toward anyone else. As I have mentioned, I have a bunch of LR and coral that they swim around, so they don't feel threatened.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by 4Clownfish
http:///forum/post/3016732
Damsels like lights. The ones I had hide in dim or night time lighting.
Hm, must be a preference. I had yellow tails, green chromis, and dominoes almost always. I got in different damsels/chromis all of the time. I always had to keep the lights dim for them to adjust. I am almost positive that they prefer a dim setting, especially while acclimating into a new environment.