Damsels - how nasty are they?

richl

Being new to the hobby, I listened to my LFS and bought 3 small damsels to help cycle my 20 gal QT. They said most people 'toss them out' after cycling. I didn't have the heart to toss them, so they are still in there 3 months later. In 2 weeks or so, I'll be ready to transfer a Heniochus bannerfish from the QT to my 125 gal FOWLR DT and I'm thinking about moving the damsels as well. I've read that a QT should only have one fish if possible and I want to buy a new fish when the QT is empty. The damsels are only about 1 inch to 1 1/2 inches each. Although the larger of the 3 damsels seems to chase the other 2 damsels around a bit, they don't seem to bother the slightly larger Heniochus. I only have one Heniochus (much larger) and one Cinnamon Clown in the DT with a few cleaner and CB shrimp, a few emerald crabs, snails, etc. Am I asking for trouble or do others have damsels in the DT without problems? I have another 5 gal that I could set-up for the damsels if necessary, but I would rather not maintain a third tank. What do you think is the best thing for me to do? Thanks

jackri

What kind of damsels? The black and white ones and gregory damsels are bulldogs... the blue with yellow tail not so bad. But yeah... unless you really want damsels -- don't use them to cycle.

richl

the biggest one is black with two white spots. He seems to be the only one that is aggressive. Another is all blue and the last is blue with a yellow tail

matt boyer

depends on the damsels the domino ones seem to be the worst in my experiance. I have 2 damsels right now and they are pretty mild ones a blue devil and ones a 3 stripe. So they could work out fine but they are hard to catch if they dont work out.

mantisman51

I have had my 3 stripes for a little over 3 months and they bicker with each other, but haven't even seemed to notice the other fish: yellow tang, cleaner wrasse, six line wrasse, ocellaris, lawnmower blenny and red spotted hawk. I have a 125g reef. The 2 blue damsels never even fight with each other, they are very bashful. Anything gets rambunctious, they hide in the LR.

saka bra

i would toss the black and white one but to me the turqoise and blue with yellow tail are pretty good, (at least keepers).

nw2salt08

I have a springer's damsel and he doesn't bother anyone. I'd say if you feel like any of them might be a threat then take them back to the LFS and if you're comfortable with the compatibility of your fish then keep them. If you're moving them to another tank you might want to put them in last so they don't have much of a chance of territorality as well. Everyone else in the tank will have that over the damsels and will be set in their areas.