Damsels in distress

newfish

I have just set up a new 55 gal fish only tank, my first. I started with 6 green chromis damsels and 3 hermit crabs after the chemistry had stabilized and they all died except the crabs who feasted all night. The next day I returned to the store and was given 6 new blue damsels (no charge)
and had them test my new water, it tested fine for new water. The following day 2 died, the next day I lost a crab and looks like 2 more damsels, one for sure. Any advice?

almarktool

newfish,
need some more info? what filter do you have?are you using lr or ls in the tank what day did u start the tank up normally u wait untill the tank has cycled approx 2-4 weeks

ocellaris_keeper

What temp are you at 75-82? Salinity 1.021-1.024,
Next it takes about 45-1 hour to acclimate your fish. Put the bag in the tank for 25 minutes, open bag and add one cup of water, Wait ten minutes - add another cup, wait ten more add another - wait 10 more and then remove fish from bag and add to tank.
Remember to have the LIGHTs OFF during the acclimation process. wait 20 minutes and turn on lights.
What type of water did you use? TAP is the kiss of DEATH - if uyou are using tap water drain it all out and go to the store and buty reverse osmosis (drinking water 60-99 cents a gallon) and replace. Start over.

azrile

Isn't 6 fish a bit much? Your ammonia levels must skyrocket (much more then normal cycling) before bacteria starts to grow.

jeo

I thew 4 damsels in a 5 gal bucket after they cycled my tank (no acclimation) and they have been living for a week (still have to bring them back to the lfs) so I wouldn't think that they are dying because of bad acclimation or slightly bad water conditions