Damsels??

canadamoose

Hello,
I am new to the saltwater aquarium hobby and have a 29gallon Oceanic Biocube. I would like to get some striped damselfsh (Black-Tailed Dascyllus or 3 stripe damsels). I am wondering if I would be able to get an ocellaris clownfish with these, I am unsure whether they are compatible? Can I get a Harlequin bass with them (I just saw it and thought it looked cool) -please tell me if you have any suggestions for species of fish and/or coral for a nice reef tank? Also how many damsels can/should I get and which genus you would recommend? Lastly for the ocellaris clown can/should I get a bubble tip anemone if I want to have corals?
Thank You!!!

snakeblitz33

Damsels are pretty cool little fish - they are one of the most dominate species in lagoons and shallow water reefs. They are very territorial little fish, so I would not recommend putting a clownfish in with them, even though a clown is nothing more then another species of damsel. If you do go with damsels (other then clowns) don't mix them with other fish in such a small tank. The bass that you mentioned will grow way too big for your sized tank.
I highly suggest that you buy a couple of compatibility books before proceeding. I also suggest you read the articles here:
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/388776/guides-for-new-hobbyists

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadamoose http:///t/392470/damsels#post_3485088
Hello,
I am new to the saltwater aquarium hobby and have a 29gallon Oceanic Biocube. I would like to get some striped damselfsh (Black-Tailed Dascyllus or 3 stripe damsels). I am wondering if I would be able to get an ocellaris clownfish with these, I am unsure whether they are compatible? Can I get a Harlequin bass with them (I just saw it and thought it looked cool) -please tell me if you have any suggestions for species of fish and/or coral for a nice reef tank? Also how many damsels can/should I get and which genus you would recommend? Lastly for the ocellaris clown can/should I get a bubble tip anemone if I want to have corals?
Thank You!!!
Welcome to the site!
I'm afraid your 29g tank is way too small for all those fish. Damsels are very pretty and not that expensive, but they do get mean when they mature. So if you get a couple of those, be it a 3 stripe or the black tailed... they will be just about all you can put in the tank. Soft corals are prettyy hardy and that's what I would begin with. Don't forget your CUC and a nice cleaner shrimp would go well.

travelerjp98

Definitely do some more research before you proceed. SWF keeping is not a hobby that you just buy everything you can and just jump into!
Patience, patience, patience!
Welcome to the forums!

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelerjp98 http:///t/392470/damsels#post_3485160
Definitely do some more research before you proceed. SWF keeping is not a hobby that you just buy everything you can and just jump into!
Patience, patience, patience!
Welcome to the forums!
I so agree....first purchase is a saltwater beginners book from the very basics and there is a ton of information on line. The 101 tips at the top of the new hobbyists section is a must read. Snakeblitz33 has written a small book on the site but I personally don't know how to bring it up or tell you how to get to his thread. He is on here all the time and should see this thread. He will help you too.
I assumed you were in the dream stage and planning, not getting started. A fish tank must cycle and freshwater and saltwater are very different in the set up. Live rock is needed, the lighting is different, the substrate and when to add it and how much...all needs to be explained. FIRST before you begin.

canadamoose

I have read Snakes tips and wil defintitely read up some more, I have had the tank cycling for about a year now( I had not had the time b/c I was finishing up my documentary at www.takethechallengenow.com). Thanks for the book ideas too. I had just been wondering what other aquarist thought.
Thanks!!