Dark colored Clarkii Clown

silentshaw

since adding the carpet anemone to my tank both clowns colors changed to a much darker color. but the smaller male has lost all the orange coloring and is now black and white. is this normal. below are two pics. one with the smaller male in front and one with the larger femal in front. thanks

schadiest1

Color can be an indicator of ---, but it is not all that reliable. For example, Maroon clowns (P. Biaculeatus) will both be brightly colored until the female ages, at which time she will get darker in color. The same holds true with Tomato clowns (A. Frenatus). Clarkii (A. Clarkii) clowns are an exception. Many female Clarkii clowns will often have a white caudal (tail) fin, while juveniles and males will have a yellow tail fin.

ecook

It is normal for a slight color change, having to do with a chemical reaction, but the female clarkii is actually a color variant, a black a. clarkii, and very pretty!

texasstone5

Sorry if this got posted twice.
You mentioned that your Clarks were normal colored and darkened after you introduced a carpet anemone...
Joyce Wilkerson (Clownfishes, A Guide to Thier Captive Care, Breeding and Natural History) writes "a number of clownfish species take on a melanistic or black pigmentation when they associate with Merten's Sea Anemone. Fautin and Alan (Anemonefish and Their Host Anemones) note that such species as ... Clark's clownfish can turn from their normal orange coloration to black within a matter of hours when placed with a Merten's Sea Anemone. The adaptive value of this reaction to either partner is unknown"
Your anemone may be a Merten's Sea Anemone (Stichodactyla mertensii), which is very similar to other carpet anemones.
I don't have Fautin and Alan handy, but you can find the reference on page 42 of Wilkerson.

texasstone5

I took it in my backpack on a ski mountaineering trip a couple of weeks ago. I should probably decide on just one hobby.