Dark red Algae?

shyfish

I have purple algea, green algea and now a very dark deep red looking algae. It is not red slime. I have seen this on other live rock that is old. Now its in my tank.
I haven't seen any red algae on any pictures on this site. I am battling hair algae at the moment. I overfed my corals and now paying the price. I had this deep red on the rock before but it is spreading.
Do I have a problem? All tests are reading Okay.

shyfish

I guess nobody has any clue on dark red algea?????
My hairy algea problem is going away. I quit feeding my corals, nothing for the last 3 days. I figure they will be alright for a week. I see lots of blue peeking through so I think everything is going to be Okay.
My little emerald crabs are working hard.

usc932000

Hello,
It sounds like it could be Cyano. But without seeing a pic its difficult to tell you exactly what it is or could be.

shyfish

I will try and get some pictures. I have to get my Niece from school and I will work on my tank when I get home. I am going to try and pick off some hairy yuk because I can't stand my tank looking like this.
I set the 90g tank up in Aug 08 but I used all the LR, sand and equipment from my 75g and I added old water I had saved in jugs. I didn't lose any corals or fish in the 60 mile move. I was so proud of myself. Now this.

shyfish

Here is a picture..I hope I did this right.. Of the red stuff on my rocks. It is not slimmy like red slim. It is hard like the rock itself.

kas2247

From the pics it looks like cyano... but if you say it's hard like the rocks, I'm not sure what it could be. The cyano would brush off or blow away if you tried to clean it.
So, here's a bump for someone else who may know more.

robertmathern

Originally Posted by kas2247
http:///forum/post/2923921
From the pics it looks like cyano... but if you say it's hard like the rocks, I'm not sure what it could be. The cyano would brush off or blow away if you tried to clean it.
So, here's a bump for someone else who may know more.
If it is hard like the rock. Its most likely coraline alge. Sighns of a healthy tank. Hard to say from the pic but thats my opinion. It dont look like cayno thats for sure. I coraline alge that looks just like that on my rock so I hope that is what it is. Pretty sure though

directvguy

Thanks for checking out my thread. The pics of my stuff isnt a good representation it. Mine is soft and looks like what is growing to be mushrooms. I guess only time will tell.

shyfish

I dosed my tank just to be sure. Its time for a water change anyhow. All my water tests say all is well and in the perfect range. PH is a tad low. 8.2 - 8.3 Because of RO water. I have to boost PH once in a while.
I would worry about soft and looking like mushrooms though. Don't mushrooms always look like mushrooms, even when they are wee little ones?