Darn Nitrates!!!

scottgotts

I just made a water change in my 29 gallon 3 days ago and my nitrates are still about 35, any ideas how to lower nitrates? will it hurt my corals??? BTW i have lots of brown algea

bigarn

Yep, it's a major player with your problem. Switch to RO or distilled for water changes and top offs ..... you should see a big difference!

S

sinner's girl

Yep, tap water will cause it. Do another water change to bring down your nitrates. Start using only ro/di water.
Also, what's your bio load? If you have too many fish/creatures that can cause high nitrates.

scottgotts

yeah i added to much at once, i have 4 fish (firefish, scooter blenny, percula clown, neon goby) and 2 peppermint shrimp, a green open brain coral, golden polyps and a condalactus anemone. oh yeah and a serpant star. Everything is doing great BTW
and yes i do have a protein skimmer

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by scottgotts
yeah i added to much at once, i have 4 fish (firefish, scooter blenny, percula clown, neon goby) and 2 peppermint shrimp, a green open brain coral, golden polyps and a condalactus anemone. oh yeah and a serpant star. Everything is doing great BTW
and yes i do have a protein skimmer
Since what's done is done, IMO I would start doing 25% water change a week and siphon out your substrate at the same time. Also when you do a water change, put that liquid stuff that puts beneficial bacteria back in your system, can't remember what it's called. Maybe someone knows what it's called....Over time your tank will adjust to your bio-load and your protein skimmer will help too!!! Good Luck!! :happyfish