Darn rock

clown-lover

I have Green hair algea....ugh but it's only because of the rock that i just put in there...
i saw that s few of the rocks had it when i went to get it, but it didn't look like too much
when i get home and put it in the tank, i see that it is more than what i thought it was...it's not spreading....yet...and i hope it doens't but i want to rid it...
it's not my tank that is causing it, it's just the new rock that i put in....already had it
what do you suggest?

fizztech

put it in nontap fresh water or di or whatever. Then put it in a dark place in the fresh water for a few days. this will kill the coralline and other things that came with it but the algae will die too.:nervous:

D

daniel411

Thats why I'm starting to believe in qt'ing live rock also.
Try removing it from your display until you have it under control. I've scrubbed the algae off with a brush while having a large siphon pulling it out before. Worked for me. May take a few tries though until you have it all.
This way you keep your great coraline coverage :)

D

daniel411

Some of it will. Thats why it will take several tries and you do it in a separate tank, as it could spread around your tank.

squidd

If this is the only rock with algae (the one you just put in) and the rest of your tank has been free of nuisance algae you could just let this rock go ...
If the nutrient level in your tank hasn't been able to support algae to this point, it shouldn't be long before this rock/algae "starves/dies" as well...
Algae spores are present in all tanks and it is just an excess of nutrients that would allow an outbreak rather than any "hitchhiker" algae taking over because it was just introduced...
But, scrubbing it off in a separate tank won't hurt, unless there are "beneficial or desirable" hitchhikers (such as sponges,pods,polyps,ect...) that you may want in your tank...

clown-lover

Algae spores are present in all tanks and it is just an excess of nutrients that would allow an outbreak rather than any "hitchhiker" algae taking over because it was just introduced...
how do i test for this? to see if i have too much nutrients?

squidd

..."IF" the nutrient level in your tank hasn't been able to support algae to this point... it shouldn't be long before this rock/algae "starves/dies" as well...
Or you can get a 'relative 'level of nutrients by testing for NitrAtes and Phosphates and possiably silicates...

colcoral

Hi, I had a serious hair algae problem I received with some of my LR. It got worse and spread through the tank. I started pulling it off regularly and got some Mexican Turbo Snails and now I have had two months free of hair algae -yea!! So don't ruin your great coraline if you don't have to.

brians

I just bought a piece of rock with clove polyps which also had a bunch of hair algae on it which was starting to over take them. It was the only rock in my tank with hair algae. Well, my scarlet hermits went crazy on it and cleaned it up in no time. If you want to you can take some of your hermits and place them on the rock manually and they should start munching. I did this the first night but after that they found it themselves. It was totally cleared up in a couple days.