Daughter doing a report-what's the most poisonous "fish" and coral?

reefrobber

is it true that cowfish release a toxin that kills fish, and itself? when i was in the keys me and my friend caught like ten of them, and we let them go afterwards but a guy told us to be careful:notsure:

leopard_babe

I believe... that cowfish release a toxin when they die. So when a cowfish dies you want to remove it from the tank as soon as possible. However I am not sure if a cowfish is poisonous to a person at this time. I would think that if you don't touch it with your bare hands it would be ok.

jawfishray

Poisonous: reflects something that is inherently poison...a more broad band delivery system of skin, flesh, fluids, etc. The "meat" is poison.
Venomous: requires a specific delivery system...spur, stinger, fang, spine, etc. That provides a mechanical point of contact for venom/poison.
Toxic: this expresses a value of caustic affect by means of a dramatic change that causes a measure of unhealthly material...shock, stress, illness, death are common "release" mechanisums for the toxic quality found in nature.
With this in mind, the most poisonous fish is an interesting one. Because the rating of a given animals poison(venom) qualities are based upon the strength, speed of affect, duration, and if there is a anti-venom. Most poisonous fish, as noted above is dealing with the "meat" or fluids...and venomous deals with the commonly used reference of poison creatures.
So I am assuming that you are looking for the the most venomous fish? If you are still looking for the most poison fish, I would say blowfish (fugu) or red sea puffer with tetrodoxin, is pretty high on that list. Most venomous, is most likely going to be a pacific stone fish.
Good luck with your project.
Ray Boemler
www.peanutbutterjellyfish.com

leopard_babe

Oh yeah forgot about the stone fish. I thought puffers were only poisonous if you ate them. The tetra(whatever) in there flesh is what is poisonous. I thought it was only poisonous if digested. Maybe you said that, it is late and i am not reading this stuff very well. Those were good definitions of tonxins and poisonous. Your right a stone fish is poisonous I was someone die that was stung by a stone fish. That was only like 2 week ago.

anglachel

I believe its the "VHO ballast fell in the tank during a water change and killed my scooter blenny and return pump-Pseudanthias"
very rare. very expensive. very stupid.
I'll have to get back on your on the coral, I've only tried to eat a few of my LPS', and so far so good.

masterreef

is it true that cowfish release a toxin that kills fish, and itself? Its true it releases a powerful toxin, but doesn't necessarily have to die to do it. A stressed cowfish can easily kill nearly every creature in your tank, but few would have mature specimens as they can get quite large. No, its not vulnerable to it's own toxin, but could die from the resulting catastpophic changes in water chemistry . . .