Day 19, API Test #9: Algae, Hermit Crab, and Astrea Snail Pictures

dutchswan

End of day notes: I put a high powered floor fan on top of the tank blowing at the light and top of the water. In 1 hour the temperature has gone from 85.5 to 80.2. It appears I have my solution. I am going to continue to run it this way until I see the temperature stabilize. Also, since the test graphics are getter very wide, I think I will link to my website showing the tests instead of posting them directly on here. It will make the post itself much easier to read.
Day 19 Notes: Day 19 tested the same as Day 18, except ammonia was higher. Man, I think the tank was cycled right up to the point I put more live rock in...but you gotta do what you gotta do. At least now I can just do daily tests with no more additions until readings have stabilized where they are supposed to be.
Algae is now all over the inside of the glass (see below). Am I supposed to manually clean this off? The hermit crabs are feasting away on what they are able to reach (see picture below). I thought one was going to crawl out of his shell and stand on top of it to get more. My snails seem to stick to the rocks, though it may just be that these type of snails cannot go across sand? Should I purchase some turbo snails to go on the glass? One of my Astrea managed to make it to the top tier (seen below).
Action Item: I left the light on all night just to see how it would affect water temperature. I am now at 84.6 Degrees F. I need to figure out how to remedy this. Suggestions are appreciated!
Age of Tank: 19 Days
Tank Size: 47 Gallon Column = 20"(L), 18"(W), 30"(H)
Filtration Used: Emperor 400
Live Sand: Nature's Ocean Bio-Activ Live Aragonite Reef Sand (40 Lbs) 2" - 3" Deep
Live Rock: 19 Melon size cultured Fiji Live Rock (more to be added)
Lighting: 150W 14,000K Metal Halide Clip-On (Coralife Aqualight)
Water Movement Pump: 750gph
Heater: None
Thermometer: Digital
Water Temperature: 84.6 Degrees F
Inhabitants: 6 Red Leg Hermit Crabs, 4 Astrea Snails, & 1 Ocellaris Clown

twood

You have to manually clean the glass. You can get a Mag-Float for that. As for the heat, positioning a fan to blow across the top of the tank should help some. Maybe a small clip on fan that you can clip to the top of the tank.

J

jstdv8

if your nitrates go much higher you might have to start doing water changes before it killes the inverts. Nitrates are hard on them.
I've seen several reefs at 80 and be jsut fine, but I'm thinking much higher might be a problem.
looks like you are having a real solid cycle. Probably should ahve waited n teh inverts until it was done though.

pepito113

I think that your tank is not cycled yet. And if you added more rock it could have made a mini cycle. I dont think I would have added the CUC yet. I know you have algae but with ammonia at .50ppm, nitrite at 1.0ppm, and nitrate at 80ppm it could be harmful to the CUC. I am not sure if you have tested for phosphate? Just curious if u have. Wondering if they are high...

dutchswan

Originally Posted by pepito113
http:///forum/post/3286263
I think that your tank is not cycled yet. And if you added more rock it could have made a mini cycle. I dont think I would have added the CUC yet. I know you have algae but with ammonia at .50ppm, nitrite at 1.0ppm, and nitrate at 80ppm it could be harmful to the CUC. I am not sure if you have tested for phosphate? Just curious if u have. Wondering if they are high...
I believe the tank was probably finished cycling on Day 16. Unfortunately, I was not finished aquascaping on Day 16. I purchased all of the live Fiji rock ***** had three times. I wish I could have purchased it all at once, but it was not an option. Now I will just let it cycle for a week or two before running tests outside of what I am already doing. I don't plan on adding another fish until I get the
from most people in here. I will take a poll when I am thinking about it.

acrylic51

Yeah the addition of rock could have easily caused another cycle. Even though the rock might have only been out of water for a very brief time, you still would have had die off.....Just keep testing.....