De-chlorinate R/O Water?

fat_ed

I'm about ready to make my first water change using R/O water from my Kent bare bones unit with a CTA filter. I live in NYC, so the water is treated with chorine, but not chloramine (I pulled the NYC drinking water test results off the web, which is one of the smartest things I've done since setting up the tank).
Is it necessary to treat the R/O water with a chlorine eliminator prior to the water change? I can't seem to find any answers on the Kent web page.

twoods71

You should not have to add a chlorine remover to RO water. The RO process if done properly should remove the chlorine and other unwanted chemicals.

broomer5

The kent marine bare bones unit MUST be used with chlorinated water.
Input water type: Chlorinated water systems ONLY
Membrane type: Cellulose Tri- Acetate; CTA
Do not use a chlorine remover.
Brian

fat_ed

The reason why the Kent CTA must be used w/ chlorinated water is that the membrane is easily destroyed by bacteria that would be present in, say, well water. That doesn't necessarily suggest that the CTA itself removes chlorine.
I would like to believe that the R/O process eliminates chlorine, but I have seen no evidence to suggest that it does. The chart listed on the Kent web page does not show chlorine as one of the elements or particulates removed by R/O. From what I understand, the Hi-S and TFC membranes requires pre-R/O filtration to knock out the chlorine. These pre-filters come with the unit.
So I guess I'm still a bit unconvinced that MY particular unit removes chlorine. It probably does, as you all believe, but does anyone actually own an R/O filter using a CTA that can help me out?
FYI, for those on the board who live in NYC, the reason I bought this filter as opposed to any other is that my research on NYC tap water showed that the median level of nitrates in 2000 was .19 ppm. Heavy metals are virtually non-existent in NYC water. The only major problems it poses for aquarists are high phospates and silica (1.8 and 2.9 ppm respectively). According to Kent's data, The CTA removes these both satisfactorily.

K

kodi

A good test would be to get a chlorine test kit and test both pre and post r/o water.

ironreef

if you search the web you will find data that suggest ro removes chlorine or as kent marine or spectra pure. Ro removes chlorine. would be worth less to have an ro if it didn't

fat_ed

For the record, this is the reply I received from Kent's online support:
"Yes, you have to use a de-chlorinator. The BB CTA's do not have a post carbon for the chlorine removal."
Thanks,
John
Tech Dept.
For those of you who own, or a re thinking of purchasing this R/O unit, now you know.

ironreef

well what good is that ro . get the one with the tfc? membrane with the carbon block and sedimate filter. that unit would be a waste.

fat_ed

Ironreef, thanks for your input. In retrospect, I'm actually not terribly worried about chlorine removal. It's easy enough to simply make up the water and let it sit for 24 hours, or simply add chlorine remover. Kent does make a carbon post filter for the CTA which you can get for about $14, but I'll probably hold off on that and put the money towards other things instead.
The reason I didn't get the TFC is b/c it was about $40 more, and NYC tap water is not typically high in nitrates.

ironreef

nitrates are really much of a concern. some water contain lost of minerals run off ect... but depends if you have a reef or fo. Even if you have a reef it still maynot matter just depends on your tap. but a carbon block will make the membrane last alot longer which will save $$ in the long run