Dead Clown :(

lili13

So my orange clown died :( I don't know why and I didn't have time to check my params this morning before running out the door, breakfast in hand for work. We had noticed a few very tiny white spots on it the other night but the guy at the lfs said it was prob just oxygen bubbles and ich was black on saltwater fish....is this true? He seemed ok last night swimming around fine and all. And I tried to get him out of the tank, but my shrimp had him under the rocks and I couldn't get at him to get him out :S
Has anyone ever had white spots on their fish?
poor little guy

au mister

white spots is ich. He was stressed from something probably. Is the temp. good in the tank? Is another fish bothering him?

lili13

Originally Posted by AU Mister
http:///forum/post/2976647
white spots is ich. He was stressed from something probably. Is the temp. good in the tank? Is another fish bothering him?
Everything was good except my calcium was at 500 and the lfs said that did it. But I still have a black clown in there and we were going to put it in freshwater for 3 min, but after 20 seconds it started looking like it was spasming and under stress so we put it back in the reg. tank, which btw is only a 14 gal biocube...I don't know what to do because we don't have a QT tank and can't do a water change until tomorrow because everything is closed :(

au mister

Imo i don't think high ca would do that. it would just precipitate out of the water. It has to be something else. If the temp is good and the parameters are ok then it could be another fish stressing it out. You said you have a black clown also? I dont think it is a good idea to have 2 clowns in a 14 gal. tank that are diff. species.

lili13

http:///forum/post/2977017
Imo i don't think high ca would do that. it would just precipitate out of the water. It has to be something else. If the temp is good and the parameters are ok then it could be another fish stressing it out. You said you have a black clown also? I dont think it is a good idea to have 2 clowns in a 14 gal. tank that are diff. species.
The guy said they were the same species and would be ok together, but the orange one died. So now I have a black clown and it has white spots on it...like it was stressed too but the only thing we've gotten that could have possibly stressed them was a large scallop, although the orange one had the spots before we got it and the black one and the orange one were buddies...so frustrating!

au mister

then the lfs sold you a clown that had ich. the orange clown gave it to your black one b/c ich spreads. ich is white spots. it looks like they have table salt on them. do a water change and hope for the best. hopefully he can over come it.

au mister

ich stays in the tank for quite some time. dont add any more fish for a while. even if the black one over comes it. It will still be in your tank and any fish you add will prob. get it. i would wait at least 6 weeks after it is not on any fish. Don't know for sure but it sounds like your lfs does not know to much if they told you that white spots was not ich and I think it is dirty that they sold you a fish that already had ich. If the black one makes it he will have good immunity against ich for a while. feed him well. best of luck

lili13

http:///forum/post/2977070
ich stays in the tank for quite some time. dont add any more fish for a while. even if the black one over comes it. It will still be in your tank and any fish you add will prob. get it. i would wait at least 6 weeks after it is not on any fish. Don't know for sure but it sounds like your lfs does not know to much if they told you that white spots was not ich and I think it is dirty that they sold you a fish that already had ich. If the black one makes it he will have good immunity against ich for a while. feed him well. best of luck
Thank you! Ya, I'm pretty Pi**ed about that. I def. will NOT buy from them anymore, which sucks because they do usually get the more exotic things. The other fish store has been good to us, even if a bit more pricy. I hope our shrimp goby is ok, but he hides so I can't see him to tell if he's got it..