Dead Hermit Crab

kdfwr918

Found one of our hermit crabs dead today. Searched the forum for maybe some answers, seems like the usual answer is "Did it molt?" I'll tell you right now, its dead not a molt. Just trying to see what happened, any suggestions?
parameters:
salinity 1.025
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 20
ph 7.8
crab had been in tank for 1 week, it's a new tank. Tank cycle completed 3 weeks ago. Also in the tank are: 3 turbos/2astrea snails and 3 other blue legged hermit crabs, and a camel shrimp.
Also, I've noticed that our turbo snails seem to stay at/ or above the waterline alot. Is this normal?

W

winstew

HErmits and snails are one of the sensative animals in the tank believe it or not. A lot of things affect these little guys and it was probably "natural" I would just keep an eye on everything else and see how they do. Any reefkeeper will tell you that periodically you will have to replenish your invert cleaners

kdfwr918

Originally Posted by Shaggyblz
http:///forum/post/2927593
What do you feed them? If this tank hasn't been established very long, they may not have enough to eat.
We don't have any fish yet, so we've been "ghost" feeding the tank everyday with just flake food. Is this enough? The tank has plenty of algae and right now on the downhill side of a diatom outbreak.

gypsana

Originally Posted by Alisonj
http:///forum/post/2927579
Baking soda
I would definitely consider using a marine/reef buffer. You can use baking soda but there are different kinds so check what others say about this on these boards before putting just anything into your tank. I never take just one persons advice.
My tank has been up for almost a year and everything is doing great except for the 4 hermit crabs I put in about 4 months ago. Down to one and I have no idea why.

U

usirchchris

Originally Posted by kdfwr918
http:///forum/post/2927553
What's the best way to raise the ph?
Water changes are the best way to maintain PH. 10% water change once a week, and you won't have to worry about buffering your PH.

kdfwr918

Tank is still new...but i've been doing a 4g water change every 2 weeks.....tank is a 23 gal. but with sand and rock displacement...i would say i'm lookin at 20g of water. Will try and do a weekly 2g change and see what that does
I appreciate the help...this forum is like the "bible" for saltwater tanks. Just nervous since this was our first and hopefully last death. We are going to try and buy our first fish this week.....

jackri

I hope your right on "first and last death" but I wouldn't count on it starting out in this hobby -- just hopefully it's all due to natural causes :)

robertmathern

I doubt it will be the last death. Hermits come and go. I have lost a few. I had 10 now I have 4. The 4 have been in there since the beggining.

fishyfun2

My tank is newly cycled as well, and i was having trouble the first couple weeks with a pH low at 7.8. I just kept doing small water changes every other day (like 3 gal in 29 gal tank) and eventually things stabilized with that. I also have hemits, snails, and a shrimp and have experienced a hermit dying. What i saw prior to him dying was other hermits fighting with him so i assumed it was from that. Thought they were wanting his shell, but it's been a week and nobody has taken it.

shyfish

HI,
RO water has a tendancy to lower PH. The reason your water changes raise yor PH is becauase you are adding new salt. Which for a very short time has the right PH.
If you don't want baking soda (the cheap way) than buy buffer. You shouldn't do water changes to balance things. Its an aquarium the whole idea is to create a perfect eco system. Self sustaning.
I know few indeed who can do that, and we land up having to do water changes to prevent loss. However water changes is not how to maintain a fish tank, it does stress the fish.
Please understand, I am absolutly not against water changes. IMO it should not be the first thing you do when you encounter an inbalance.

snakeblitz33

If you have glass tops, take it off. It prevents gas exchange which decreases pH. Also, you could increase your internal water flow to agitate the water more, which will also raise pH.
pH buffers do not fix pH, that's just a bandaid.
Baking Soda affects alkalinity, which stabilizes pH among other things.