Dead Juvi Clown Trigger

craig_08

So I bought this baby clown trigger from swf.com and kept him for 3+ months with no problems (alwasy ate well and swam all over the place, no disease). Earlier this week I noticed that he was not around as much and he was hiding. Today I saw him and he was floating and it had a skinny stomach like he had not been eating. All my other fish are fat and happy. I had cut down from daily feedings to every other day and then every third day in the past month in efforts to cut down on detritous and algae but that should be plenty of food. Could this be the horrible juvi clown trigger mortality rate striking or is there a more pressing issue that I should pay attention to? HELP...

michaeltx

alot of baby clown triggers will get to a certain size and just kiel over dead usually of an unknown cause. I havent found any explaination of it will surfing the net other than it happens. maybe someone else has found the reason but I have heard anything under 2-3 inches can have this happen to them.
sorry about the loss.
Mike

sleasia

I have a baby clown trigger as well so I will keep an eye out for any signs of a similar problem. I am feeding small amounts once or twice a day and varying the feeds between spirulina flakes (OSI), frozen mysis shrimp soaked in zoe and garlic extract, and reef formula I and II. He eats like a pig and so far seems fine. I have had him a week already. He seems sensitive to temp increases in the tank water. He behaved similarlyto yours, staying still, hiding alot one day when the tank water seemed to be creeping towards 80 so now I leave a fan on and try to keep the water always around 76...and he is back to his usual self. Maybe your water got too hot one of these muggy summer days and he croaked?:confused:

I

irenicus

Baby clown triggers have a high juvenile mortality rate. I think they are often caught with Cyanide too.