Dead Live-Rock

healerhand

Hello Everyone,
I am new to the fish hobby. I have a question about live rock. A friend of mine had about 300 lbs of live rock which was stored in his back yard without water. Basically, the live rocks dried up for a long time. If the live rocks are dried up, that means it is dead. Dead live rocks or dead rocks still good for salt water tank??? would the dead rock be cycle with bacteria again?? if yes, how long??? Any comments? or opinion????

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Live rock won't be live for long stored in the back yard without water. Now the rock is only a rock. Properly cleaned off, you can use it for a tank decoration, but it won't be "live" again, unless you return it to the ocean and some marine creatures decide to take up residence there again

krazzydart

It would be O.K. if you cleaned it up and put it into a tank with more live rock. It would take some time but it will eventually get the coraline growing on it. It will then be alive again......

healerhand

from the your stand point....does that process apply to sand too? Dead sand can be live sand if we put some live rocks and time.... would that work too??? thanks
dc