Dead Pump??? Help!

stimpy4242

So i just bought my sequence reeflo dart for my CL system, filled the tank today turned it on and it hummed like a quiet little nothing...of course it was doing NOTHING! No water movement just a quiet hum....could I have done something wrong? Water is at it from both sides in and out....i thought that was all that was necessary for a prime...is there something else I am missing? If that weren't enough, there is a drip from the intake about once every 10 seconds...maybe more....ideas?

chipmaker

It is possible the seals are stuck to each other if it has been setting for any length of time, I have that problem on occassion with the Sequence pumps I have on my numerous koi ponds. As to the leak about all you can do is remove the fitting or whatever is attached and redo the connection to the pump inlet. Those pumps have very low fractional HP and are very easy to stall from things like a stuck together seal. You did not drop anything in the pumps volute by change did you? Not totally familiaar with a DART but I assume its single voltage not dual, but if its dual yu may want to check and see if its wired for the voltage yur hooked up to.///as well as check to make sure all wires under conver are hooked up and none came loose.

stimpy4242

Ok so here is what i did to make it start. I have to place a flat blade screwdriver into the motor housing and spun it and then it started. If i unplug it and power it back on it does not work...i have to "jump start" it again with the screwdriver. What does that mean?

garydn

My sequence pump did the same thing once but has not done that again. I would think the pump is defective. I would contact where you purchased it and see if you can exchange it.

chipmaker

If you have to spin it to start it, it sounds like you have a capacitor in it thats not hooked up right (wire may have come off) or capacitor is bad, or the pump motors shaft is in a bind. I have seen pumps get twisted in a bind with ridgid plumbing attached and the pump bolted to a fixed surface. Its easy to do with a pump which has a resin epoxy or molded PVC wet end. There is a good chance its the capacitor though with the need to spin it to start.
IIRC These DArt pumps used to be Sequence's economy line of pumps thata used to be called Value Flo's. All they did was add saltwater seals and double the price as the large Value Flo used to sell for about $159.......NOw I think they call it the Hammerhead or Baracuda.....and retails over the $300 mark........It was initially geared to the pond folks, but it never went over well as it was not a high head or high pressure pump. Its a super pump though as are any sequence pumps