dead snails

bandman

I had a couple snails die. Should I remove their shells, or can I just leave them in there. It doesn't seem like they would hurt anything, but maybe I should take the snail out first.

masala4080

The rest of the clean up crew will take care of the dead guys. As for the shells, some smaller ones might make the shell a new home so might as well leave them in.

I

ivanfj

Originally posted by Masala4080
The rest of the clean up crew will take care of the dead guys. As for the shells, some smaller ones might make the shell a new home so might as well leave them in.

Totally agree. Just monitor your ammonia and nitrite level closely in the next few days and make sure they don't get too high. To be safe, I would do an extra water change or if you have a scheduled water change coming up, do a slightly larger %. A couple of dead snails should not harm alot, but wth better safe than sorry. HTH

trainfever

The rest of the clean up crew will take care of the dead snails provided you have a clean up crew. Do you have any hermit crabs in your tank? If not then by all means get some. They will dispose of the meat of the snails and use their shell as a new home if it is bigger then the one they are in now.

bandman

yeah I have 4 hermits. Thanks for all the replies. Is my clean up crew big enough for a 30 gal?
4 hermits
now 4 snails