Dead Turbo's

raymac

My first crisis.
Tank has been up 3 months or so. 150, with Amiracle wet/dry, Euroreef skimmer, 2 Rio pumps as power heads a 1700, and 2100. Cycled-- no ammonia. About 30-40 lbs of base rock and 60 lbs of live rock. DSB with Southdown, aragonite and 40lbs of live sand. 4-6 inches in hgt, some places taller.
I've only had 35 left-handed hermits and 35 turbos. No fish yet. One piece of mushroom rock (green mushrooms....they're fine)
The turbos suddenly started dieing. Still no ammonia in the tank. I was thinking that it might have been from a new piece of rock I had put in the tank. But still, no ammonia.
My problem is now that I've removed all but 3 turbos. I did a 30 gallon water change yesterday, and I added some Carbon (aminocarb) to a bag and dropped it into the sump. I'm planning to do some more water change tonight. I haven't checked nitrates, and I'm planning to do so tonight. I did check ammonia yesterday...nil. The rock and sand are doing their job.
Anything else I can do for the smell from the tank? It's pretty horrible right now from the dead Turbos.
What else might have killed Turbos? There is one creature I don't know in my tank...must have come from rock. It's about 1 - 1.5 inches long, pure black, with red on outlining the sides. Two antlers, and a little ball for a tail.. Some kind of snail. No shell. Just showed up last week. Could he have killed Turbos?
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide me.

dburr

The creature sounds like a nudibranch, can't be sure without a pic.
Maybe the crabs are eating the snails.
I have 1 hermit in my 100 gal and thats enough for me.
Try another water change for the smell.
HTH

mlm

In my experiece turbos just die easily. I had 30 of them about 4 months ago and now I have 3. I think that the trouchus are much better. They clean more they move faster and they don't die. They do however cost 3 times as much but you do not need as many.

raymac

Thanks for the response, guys.
I didn't think I had done anything wrong, but it was really bugging me.
Thanks again.....no more Turbos for me.....