Dead Zoos????

bronco300

Ok, i received some zoos from an online site 2 days ago...and they still have not opened, i'm worried they are dead. The package i received it in was soaked, and damaged....there was hardly any water left, and i know they are hardy, but it was bad packaging....and it looks like there is fuzzy clear stuff around em...maybe they just need cleaned, which could be why the snails crawl over it...and maybe they dont have enough time to open up...i dont know, here is a pic of the package, and what they look like...

who dey

doesn't look good. I'm not familiar with return on live stock from the site i just buy dry goods here, but i'd return

mudplayerx

Give em a couple of more days. If they start falling apart or you see hermit crabs all over them, then you know they are dead.
Careful with handling zoos...many are extremely toxic. If you decide to get rid of them, don't throw them where animals such as dogs/cats can eat them.

ebsochin

I've had similar experience. Some zoos take up to a week if not a little longer to fully open up after shipment. At least that was my experience. Give them a week or so and see what happens.

sgdeb

I'm not sure which site you order from, but I get mine from ***********.com, which has a 14 day (up to 30 day for their agricultured corals) guarantee, and are very good about it. Regardless from whom you received this shipment, they should have a CONTACT US link -- call or email them and ask what you want to ask.
Regarding the shipment condition... They should not arrive without water and air within the bag... Any I have received via fed ex standard are triple packaged, and - even when there is a small leak, it IS small...
Shipping and purchasing info aside, I have several zooanthids in my reef. Altho 1 (a yellow colony) opened quickly --- I lost several polyps because it was incorrectly positioned (re: light, water flow)... They are growing back quickly now! Other zoos I've gotten have taken days -- and some have taken WEEKS to begin opening. In fact, I have an ELEGANT MOON CORAL in there that took 2 weeks to perk up a bit (still working on it) and an ORANGE SPOT that after 3 weeks is only now opening up...
Good luck. (Keep me posted, I am still learning and experiencing!)
Deb

bronco300

well i called the guy today, he was very responsive and kind about everything...i told him the situation...and considering i have other zoos that are fine, he was baffled and said he would do all he can, so i emailed him pics and parameters...seemed very nice and will probably ship more out to me...i hope so, i would hate to have wasted so much money

bronco300

also, the man said that zoos really dont need to be shipped in water...just a wet paper will do, is this true??? they said they usually dont ship their zoos with water, thought id ask to see what you other pros though ***)

kdfrosty

I wouldnt say that Im a pro, but I have shipped/received zoos at least 10 times in the mail. Like most people said above, give them at least a week.
I've received a soaked package just like you did, and the zoos all lived.

bronco300

yea, i usually wait on the zoos, but through the others, they usually pop out for the day, then hide for a week it seems....i'm still waiting on some, but these zoos that i got just dont look quite right, not like the others have....so im just a bit more worried about them. But we'll see, hopefully i'll hear from the guy tomorrow.

bronco300

well i got an email from the website(not swf) and they guy said they would replace it for me, either try to get me the same ones, or a different one from his website if i would like...so i'll be gettin some new zoos!!
hopefully i can get some reds, i've been wanting reds,purples, and pinks badly. haha.
Luke P