Deadly Weekend

ladifysh

If your nitrates are at 20ppm and your fish are stressed in any way, it could be enough to push them over the edge. Nitrates are the third and final stage of the conversion of ammonia in our tanks. Not as bad as Ammonia or Nitrites but if 20ppm was the downside, it's not good news. My reef tank is at less that .5ppm.Getting rid of the nitrates is very important, but a couple of questions.
Is this tank F/O, FOWLR, Reef of a combo of the two?
Do you keep any Sea Apples? I was taking care of a 300 gallon reef tank and the guy put a sea apple in it...I told him if the fish started picking on it and it got stressed out, the toxins the apple would release would wipe out the whole tank. Of course, I didn't know what I was talking about and 2 weeks later he lost over $15,000.00 in livestock and corals, including a $500 Imperator Angel I had nursed back to health. All over a stinkin fifty dollar sea apple. When I walked in that day and saw the mess and he said "How come you didn't MAKE me take that thing out?" Cuz I'm not your mother, have fun, I QUIT!
Are your test kits up to date...old, outdated chemicals can give false readings, making us think all is well when it's not.
Have you recently added anything to the tank, rocks, plant, anything?
Has your R/O DI resin been changed lately...did you let it run a few gallons before you began using the water for the tank?
Make any changes to the house plumbing? Doesn't sound like much, but things can sometimes get knocked loose that doesn't bother us but gives our fish a hard time.
Do you have a sump with algae in it to use up the nitrates? If not you could get one of those breeder traps like they use with freshwater fish. Use suction cups or clips to attach it to the side of the tank. This only works if your running a pendant or a very tall canopy. Put some filter material cut to size on the bottom of the trap. Fill with coarse rock rubble, very coarse crushed coral and/or a mix of the two. Get yourself a mangrove tree and put it in place. If you want to go SUPER EASY get yourself a block of styrofoam, find the exact middle (draw a line from corner to corner across the middle. Where they intersect is the middle). Make a hole just large enough to put the mangrove in with the bareroots sticking down in the water. This will keep the mangrove at the right water level and you'll start to find all kinds of tasty goodies your fish will like taking up residence in the root zone.
Alternately use a large breeder trap filled with chaeto to aid in the export of nitrates.
If you have a sump but no refugium area, go to the dollar store and get a cheap plastic basket, one of the organizer kind, square is better. If it fits tight against the walls of the sump, all the better. Fill it with chaeto, grab a cheap clip on light and a twisted flourscent bulb, about 60 watts or so. Place the whole shebang into the sump so that it's covered with the flowing water. Turn on the light, leave it on 24/7 and presto chango, lowered nitrates. Make sure the light won't fall into the water or get splashed on, I'm sure you can figure out why.
Sorry for all the questions...just trying to figure out what went wrong so maybe we can help make sure it doesn't happen again...I've been doing this over 35 years and I still have days where I'm doing this.....

coolguy818

Originally Posted by Ladifysh
If your nitrates are at 20ppm and your fish are stressed in any way, it could be enough to push them over the edge. Nitrates are the third and final stage of the conversion of ammonia in our tanks. Not as bad as Ammonia or Nitrites but if 20ppm was the downside, it's not good news. My reef tank is at less that .5ppm.Getting rid of the nitrates is very important, but a couple of questions.
Is this tank F/O, FOWLR, Reef of a combo of the two?It was a Mixed Reef. It was overstocked. I know that for a fact.
Do you keep any Sea Apples? I was taking care of a 300 gallon reef tank and the guy put a sea apple in it...I told him if the fish started picking on it and it got stressed out, the toxins the apple would release would wipe out the whole tank. Of course, I didn't know what I was talking about and 2 weeks later he lost over $15,000.00 in livestock and corals, including a $500 Imperator Angel I had nursed back to health. All over a stinkin fifty dollar sea apple. When I walked in that day and saw the mess and he said "How come you didn't MAKE me take that thing out?" Cuz I'm not your mother, have fun, I QUIT! Nope no Sea Apples
Are your test kits up to date...old, outdated chemicals can give false readings, making us think all is well when it's not. Test Kits are 45 days old
Have you recently added anything to the tank, rocks, plant, anything? Nope None at all.
Has your R/O DI resin been changed lately...did you let it run a few gallons before you began using the water for the tank? I don't have a RO/DI Unit. It comes from the local Water Store.
Make any changes to the house plumbing? Doesn't sound like much, but things can sometimes get knocked loose that doesn't bother us but gives our fish a hard time. Water doesn't come from the house.
Do you have a sump with algae in it to use up the nitrates? If not you could get one of those breeder traps like they use with freshwater fish. Use suction cups or clips to attach it to the side of the tank. This only works if your running a pendant or a very tall canopy. Put some filter material cut to size on the bottom of the trap. Fill with coarse rock rubble, very coarse crushed coral and/or a mix of the two. Get yourself a mangrove tree and put it in place. If you want to go SUPER EASY get yourself a block of styrofoam, find the exact middle (draw a line from corner to corner across the middle. Where they intersect is the middle). Make a hole just large enough to put the mangrove in with the bareroots sticking down in the water. This will keep the mangrove at the right water level and you'll start to find all kinds of tasty goodies your fish will like taking up residence in the root zone.
Alternately use a large breeder trap filled with chaeto to aid in the export of nitrates. No Sump, No Refugium.
If you have a sump but no refugium area, go to the dollar store and get a cheap plastic basket, one of the organizer kind, square is better. If it fits tight against the walls of the sump, all the better. Fill it with chaeto, grab a cheap clip on light and a twisted flourscent bulb, about 60 watts or so. Place the whole shebang into the sump so that it's covered with the flowing water. Turn on the light, leave it on 24/7 and presto chango, lowered nitrates. Make sure the light won't fall into the water or get splashed on, I'm sure you can figure out why. The reason for my Nitrate problem, is because I had to many fish. Now I got 2 left.... I guess it was a blessing in disguise.
Sorry for all the questions...just trying to figure out what went wrong so maybe we can help make sure it doesn't happen again...I've been doing this over 35 years and I still have days where I'm doing this.....

The good thing is that , none of my Corals are affected from this. But it is very frustrating taking the tank apart, and putting it back together again. I had to re-aquascape the rocks 3 times in 3 days..........

ladifysh

For your peace of mind check with the store and ask them if anyone complained about the water...
I'm beginning to believe something died, even an invert and just tipped the scales on that nitrate count to something deadly.
Try the refugium in the back of the tank or get one of those hamster balls, you know the clear acrylic kind that lets the hamster run around inside all over the floor. You could easily tie that off in the corner after it's been filled with chaeto...watch the algae's growth. When it doubles in size, remove half and let it go again. If you can put it in an are of mild flow, all the better.
As for overstocking, well, I'm sure we've all given into the temptation of the eye candy...just be religious about water changes. I have a 75 gallon mixed reef with a lot of fish...made 10 gallon water changes EVERY DAY. Actually, I had a system set up that allowed me to do a water change in like 10 minutes. I used 2 45 gallon Rubbermaid "Brute" containers on wheels, one empty one with pre-mixed, warmed salt-water ready to go. The easier it is to do water changes the more likely you are to actually do them. With to cost of water, you could probably invest in your own R/O unit. Anyway, hope some of this has at least been a help.

coolguy818

I do water changes every week, Friday to be exact. At this point my tank is not overstocked anymore......... Total count:
5 Fish
3 Shrimp
2 Hermits
And my Nitrates Are dropping, they were at 10 this morning.
LOST

coolguy818

I got a question......... If the Blue Hippo Tang dies, and I don't get it out. And leave it for the snails and hermits, will I have a problem?
Its only him and the 3 stripe damsel left.

jacrmill

I cant imiagine having nitrates of 20 killed all those fish. Looking at the amount of fish you had in the tank, and noticing the largest tank you have is a 90 gallon, I would have some questions.
So far I have counted:
Yellow Tang
Blue Hippo Tang
Royal gramma
Goby
Flame angel
Clown fish
Damsel
Not trying to be a jerk, but I am sure it was a crowded system. Anytime you have a system overcrowded, a minor problem explodes into a serious problem because you dont have the resources to handle it. Not trying to lecture, just explain. This could have been your major problem, in that you simply had 1 fish get killed by another (due to competition for space) and your tank didn't have the ability to overcome the extra pollutants in the water.
That said, in a situation like that, you would expect to see some results in your water test. I doubt it is a mantis shrimp as stated earlier, because you can hear those bad boys. Also, that doesnt sound like the typical pattern for ich.
As someone else stated earlier, maybe the CBS has been tearing into fish. Yours wouldn't be the first. But again, I would have expected to see some ammonia or trites in a crowded system if you had a murderer on the loose.
This hobby is all about learning from mistakes (hopefully other's and not our own), but i know how frustrating it can be when you dont even know what the mistake is.

jwhitehorn

I hear only 8 fish mentioned and he said he had a 90 gallon tank? How is this over-crowding? I thought it was 1" per gallon for freshwater fish and 2" per gallon for Saltwater. So he SHOULD be ok with 40" of fish right? It doesn't look like all his fish at 5" fish or anywhere close. The clown and damsel in particular should be much smaller. So I'm just curious how it is so obvious there was overcrowding?

coolguy818

I should clarify this. The 90 gallon is a Freshwater tank. The 29 is a mixed reef. All the fish stated above were in the 29.

autofreak44

ok thats over crowded. both the tangs in there were bad choices. chances are with the over crowding, not qt'ing and some semi agressive fish to begin with that all those factors just came together to create a disaster. if i were you i would do a whole overhall on your tank. change all the filters, bring your water to the lfs and let them check your water (in case of falty testing kits) and begin treating your fish for ich (hyposalinity in a QT). if you use a ro/di system for your tank, check the membranes and see if its time for a change. change if necessary. also test the ro/di water with some of your fresh water test kits to see if anything is out of the norm. (i would test ph, salinity which should be 0, trite, trate, ammo) all those should read 0 except for pH which should read 7. also test your water change water to see if there is anything "fishy" about that. also maybe if you could get pics of your whole system so maybe we can see something you cant that would be damaging to the fish. lastly, go through the whole system, check all the hoses, filters, sump if you have one, just do a complete meticulous inspection. hope this helps, srry for your losses

jacrmill

actually 2 tangs in a 90 by itself is a bad choice, let alone a 29. and those particular 8 fish in a 90 gallon SW tank would be too much from where Im sitting. Tangs are known to be heavy swimmers = heavy metabolism = heavy waste production. I do believe that would be too much in a 90, but in a 29 it is just....well.....bad. you can disagree about the 90, but i think we all hope when he starts over in his 29, he makes different decisions. I'm sorry that nobody could ever come to an exact conclusion as to what the exact problem was, hopefully your next venture will be more successful. just for example, here is the stock list I have in my 29:
royal gramma
6 line wrasse
yellow nosed goby
honestly there is more room for maybe 1 small to medium sized fish. But everyone is healthy and happy and I havent decided if I am going to add another fish. good luck, I hope your hippo turns out to be ok.
By the way, 40 inches of fish in a 90 gallon tank is a lot. the blanket rule I always heard for saltwater was 1 inch of fish per 5 gallons. could be wrong, just the rules I heard when I started years ago..... (by the way, I dont like blanket rules like that, since each tank is different)

autofreak44

Originally Posted by curryfishman
holy Crap Man Its Easy Your Tank Was Way Way Over Croweded!!!!!!!!!!
hey chillax man he didnt know any better cheeez

autofreak44

Originally Posted by jacrmill
actually 2 tangs in a 90 by itself is a bad choice, let alone a 29. and those particular 8 fish in a 90 gallon SW tank would be too much from where Im sitting. Tangs are known to be heavy swimmers = heavy metabolism = heavy waste production. I do believe that would be too much in a 90, but in a 29 it is just....well.....bad. you can disagree about the 90, but i think we all hope when he starts over in his 29, he makes different decisions. I'm sorry that nobody could ever come to an exact conclusion as to what the exact problem was, hopefully your next venture will be more successful. just for example, here is the stock list I have in my 29:
royal gramma
6 line wrasse
yellow nosed goby
honestly there is more room for maybe 1 small to medium sized fish. But everyone is healthy and happy and I havent decided if I am going to add another fish. good luck, I hope your hippo turns out to be ok.
By the way, 40 inches of fish in a 90 gallon tank is a lot. the blanket rule I always heard for saltwater was 1 inch of fish per 5 gallons. could be wrong, just the rules I heard when I started years ago..... (by the way, I dont like blanket rules like that, since each tank is different)
imo you could go with another 3 small fish in there (small gobys clowns etc) if you have good filtration.

jacrmill

appreciatte the advice, but I tend to like more open systems. i think 3 more fish would be pushing it, I might consider 1 more medium sized fish. I am busy considering a sump, so that has taken up most of my time. Figuring with a good sump/fuge growing pods, I might be able to meet the needs of a mandarin. If not than surely I could house a flame angel.
I was trying to say the same thing about the overcrowding, just trying to be more gentle and subtle. For a lot of people in this hobby, the first place to start learning is the fish store. they dont know this is also (usually) the worst place. so alot of people get into bad situations with no way to overcome. I know its tough when you see this board and know there is so many resources out there to educate yourself and you see people keeping aquariums that are basically just killing fish. but many people just trust people (even salesman), which leads to mistakes.