Deal?

badpacket

I am in the middle of picking out a ~30g reef tank setup, and came across this. I think its a pretty good deal, as the guy selling it is only 15 min. away from me, and is actually moving closer to me. What does everyone think?
Also, when I move it, should I expect it to re-cycle, as the sand is going to be totally disrupted when I toss it into pails for transport.
29 gallon reef tank with custom stand and canopy-- the system includes:
1. 29 gallon glass tank in good condition, has some scratches.
2. Custom made oak stand and canopy made by Marine Systems. Stand is 36" tall and has matching canopy, approximately 6" tall.
3. 2 x 55 watt Custom Sea Life power compact lighting, with 1 10k bulb and 1 actinic bulb. Excellent lighting for this size tank
4. 1 Rio pump with sponge filter for circulation
5. Approximately 30lbs of show quality Fiji live rock, with red mushrooms scattered on the rock.
6. 6" deep sand bed with tons of life, sand taken from various other tanks
7. Various corals including a few soft corals, polyps, and mushrooms
8. Pair of False Percula clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris)
9. Various crabs and snails
10. Small bubble-tip anemone
The tank is skimmerless, but I will throw in a hang on the back overflow if you'd like to add a sump.
It needs to be cleaned as well, I'm selling it because I've neglected it as I am in the process of moving. I'd rather sell the tank than take it with me.
I will pack all of the inverts, coral, and rock in styrofoam shipping boxes for a secure ride to their new home.
I've read a few threads on moving an existing tank, so I think I've got an idea of what it will take.
Any suggestions/pointers on how to move the tank, clean it, and get it habitable in short order ( ~3 hrs). I'd like to get these guys back in a larger tank quickly as i don't have anywehre else to put them.
The biggest problem I see is getting the water, old and new DI up to temp in that amount of time, and getting the salinity etc in order.
thanks

nm reef

Sounds interesting if the price is good....just take care to keep everything wet and as stable as possible.....the less time everything is out of the display the better.....just make the transition as quick and smooth as you can....there may be a bit of a cycle but things may settle quick and recover with no problems. Best of luck...:cool:

ocellaris_keeper

Here is what I would do.
Since the water quality is currently what the animals are used to you shoul dtry to keep them in it sad long as possible.
buy a picnic cooler or two (they keep things cold/warm during transport) and plan on migrating everything in short order.
Purchase (if you don't already have one) a $45.00 DC to AC converter and plan on running a powerhead in each cooler to keep the water flow during transport.
Shut the lid and drive slowly and safely and you should be able to clean out the 29 gal and move the stand and all without too much worry.
This is how I would try it. Cheap/Safe/Very Low Downtime.
Good Luck!

badpacket

Thanks all, good advice. Its only about a 15 minute move so I'm hoping its relatively low-stress for the stock.
thanks again.

jakob4001

why disturb the DSB so dramatically; my 1st suggeston would be to have the person you are selling it to, to assist you in moving it in some way; whomever has the largest vehicle should transport the tank...
vehicle allowing, I would leave the DSB intact as possible w/ some or little water to keep it moist or slightly submerged still; possibly than cover/seal the tank as best as possible w/ saran o wrap/foil....than duct tape all around really well to prevent splashing; 29 gallon w/ DSB little water left in should be managable enough w/ at least 2 people; you could also use rubbermaid containers for the LR & CORALS & a seperate one for the live stock...
as said before, there will probably be some kind of mini cycle at the very least...you might want to suggest that they have water for water change ready just in case...

badpacket

Cool, just read your message and surpisingly thats what we did.
Gave the guy some extra to help. Was not sure you could move a tank with that much sand in it, thought it would break.
Did about a 30% water change upon setup. After several hours, the fish started having what looked like mini-spasms, jerking several times sideways. Got a bit concerned, and took my last fresh sw and did a 5g water change again. As of right now, they look better.
For tomorrow, I have planned on getting another 10g of fresh water and doing another water change every couple of days if that would be recommended. Also was planning on not feeding them for several days as well, good?
I know the rock formation looks like crap, I just cant believe how much rock this guy had, insane.
Anyone got pointer on positioning the rock? I would like to getthe sides and back builtup, and have some space in the front with just sand for the fish, and as a focal point.
Also, it has an old Rio600 powerhead, and I'm going to pick up another one that hopefully better, and cleaner.
Note too self, yes Virginia, you -can- scatch glass with a fresh razor.......
Here's a pick, feel free to give an opinion on how bad I did, and maybe some tips.
thanks all.
http://www.geocities.com/badpacket94501/pics/day1.jpg

badpacket

1. Bump.
2. As you can see from the pic, I am running this without a top. As there is a decent little AC fan running under the lights, I am figuring the evaporation is rather more than normal, would this be correct?
While I expect to get one shortly, I am researching limewater/kalk, and was wondering if setting up some sort of drip system might be better than the 2-step B-Ionic stuff I just bought. Mainly, my Ph is currently at about 7.6 or so. Not sure why, but I've probably got about 50% of the original tank water in there. I was thinking of getting another 5g of fresh sw Monday and doing another partial to try and get the Ph up.
Opinions requested.
thanks.