Death of a Goby

samd8

I have a 12 gallon JBJ dx, and the other day i was looking for my diamond goby that i put in 5 days ago. I know when fish are first introduced into the tank, they like to hide, so i figured he was probably hiding. When i got home from work yesterday, i saw something coming out of my powerhead. I looked closer, and it was my goby!!

Has anyone else had the problem of fish somehow swimming into the back of your nano cube and getting sucked up by the pump??
Also, if anyone knows how to fix this, let me know! Thanks!

socalnano24

Goby's jump, I had my diamond goby jump into the sump he wasn't as unlucky as yours. You can try to add a piece of plexiglass between the top of the sump and the bottom of the lid(about 1/4-1/2")
Or put a piece of egg crate (white plastic light mesh) over the water surface

samd8

Ya i put a little piece of plexi glass in case something like that would happen. I guess it wasn't big enough. I used to have a goby in my 46 gallon, but it had an overflow so i was not too worried about the little guy jumping into the overflow. Are gobys not "reccomended" for nanos? Or do you just have to be cautious with them?

socalnano24

There's dangers in all tanks. But yes, be cautious with them, if you have your feeder lid open for tank temp purposes make sure to have egg crate there too.

samd8

haha ya i have something over that whenever its open. I had to learn the hard way.. unfortunately. When i had my 46 gallon, my sailfin jumped out!
Any ideas of fish for my tank?? The rock is cured, and all parameters are good. Now i just need some ideas. I want to hopefully have it all SPS, if my $$$ will let me

socalnano24

hmmm in a 12 gallon. You can't have too much, maybe a couple of firefish. Or
one clown and a six line.....
You could always mix it up with several different shrimps or ornamental crabs.
Such as several sexy shrimp and pom pom crabs.....

nanomantis

Originally Posted by Curry
http:///forum/post/3246357
Careful with the firefish... jumpers as well.
Six line is a nice choice.
Sixlines can get a bit closterphobic in a smaller aquarium; leading to aggression problems. Think clownfish/shrimp gobies/cardinalfishes.

samd8

Thanks for the advice! Ya i was thinking about either getting a pair of black clowns, or some picasso's. Does anyone know where to get some picassos at a reasonable price??