Death of my Arrow Crab

dplantz

I awoke this morning to find the body of my arrow crab. He died sideways and I know that this is no molt or dormant phase as I watched him the last 3 days and he seened fine. I know this isn't a molt, as there isn't a crevice he could fit in I didn't check. Im pretty sure that he died of old age, as he is 9" from leg tip to leg tip. I heard that they only get 6" in the aquarium and 10" in the wild, so he might have been special, not sure. I read that they live about 5 years and I can only account for 2 in my tank, so i think this is the culprit.
I will post pics if anyone cares to see them, as he was fairly large.

dplantz

Pictures of him next to my hand, and next to a 10" ruler
I just checked and on my moniter he is a little under life sized.

spanko

That is a monster. Is there anything else in your tank? I thought arrow crabs were not nice neighbors and one that big could mean trouble.

dplantz

He was very peaceful and never was aggressive, he was perfect. He would wait for the fish to finish eating and when it was calm he would pick up leftovers. He was also a fireworm destroyer when i got him, reaching into the rocks and pulling them out of nowhere. He did partake in my yellowhead jawfish fish, but only after he had died (toppled rock on himself I though was very secure).