debate regarding tank size vs. fish

jp0379

I am always interested to read when someone on here asks a question about getting a fish, a tank, ect.........and someone says, "You don't want that fish unless you have a bigger tank".........ect... Besides the fact that although many of us would LOVE to own a 300 gallon tank, money is a commodity that is hard to come by these days, at least when we're talking about spending on a hobby such as saltwater fish.
There is a LFS run by VERY smart people who can answer just about anything you ask, and they have about 40 29 gal. long fishtanks in the store. There are two 125 gallon, one of which is used to house a few aggresive species, and another that is the most beautiful example of a reef tank that I've ever seen. All of the 29's house tangs, lionfish (obviously not full grown), triggerfish, ect........
I think my point is, everyone here has to remember that one, not everyone has 1000 dollars to spend on a system, and two, lots of fish can live very happily in smaller tanks than are suggested here. A yellow tang isn't going to last a day in a 10 gallon tank, of course, but if you have a 29 long, and don't fill it with 100 lbs of live rock, it can do very well.
Just my opinion. And before I get slammed, let me add this. On another thread somewhere, there was a post about coral banded shrimp, and a few people said theirs never come out during the day. I posted that mine spends ALL day for the most part running around, after which someone posted that the only reason a CBS would run around during the day is if the lighting is bad. I happen to have EXCELLENT lighting, and as some posts after mine explained, each person has different experiences. Some people here have said a certain fish would never get along with another fish, and there ARE no fish that follow that rule everytime. I bought damsels when I first bought my tank, like many people do, and I never got rid of them to this day. I have a redlip blenny and a scooter blenny, as well as a madarin goby, and they all get along great. I even have a clown fish that uses the featherduster worm like an anenome. If I came on here and asked if a clown fish could use a featherduster worm in such a way, I promise you 99 % would say "No way."
My basic point is, there aren't many problems that you are going to run into if you think reasonably before you get a tank or a fish. Find out how big the fish gets, don't put 142 fish in a 20 gallon tank, come here and ask questions, and it'll be fine.
Now..........let the slammin' begin. ;)

krishj39

I agree, no reason to slam here. I'm a firm believer in "your tank, your choice." If you want to do things that way, no problem here, it is your tank. However, if you ask for advice, or don't seem to be aware of the problem, then I'll chime in with my contrary opinion. In this case, I'm in full agreement with what jwtrojan said. Anyway, my 2 cents.

harlequinnut

Obviously not everyone has a big fat bank account or a family fortune. You can have a 10g tank and still have a nice setup. The point here is to know your tanks limitations and stock it accordingly.

nm reef

First and foremost...we try to avoid slammin' and flames around here...just makes for a better experience in my opinion!
Second...most of the fish stores I've ever seen have relatively small displays for fish...but they are intended to be kept short term and replaced on a regular basis.
I don't consider myself to be a card carrying member of the tang police and I agree that to a certain extent the rules can be bent...but care should be taken to provide adaquate conditions for all fish and corals. The objective should be to provide proper conditions for the long term. Many of the negative comments about keeping certain fish is certain sized systems are based on years of experience and personal experience. Most of the time the information/experience is valid and should be carefully considered.
It should also be mentioned that this hobby is expensive and most of the time shortcuts to save money will result in problems of one sort or another. There are numerous possibilities and options but rest assured being cheap is rarely a success in this hobby.
The best course is careful research on all additions and preperation for adaquate conditions for the long term benefit of all additions.
Just as an example...the manderian you mentioned may be doing fine...but the vast majority of experienced aquarium owners will tell you that manderians need a replenishing source of copepods for them to survive long term...normally they will at minimum require a system that is mature/stable and stocked with plenty of quality LR that will allow for continual growth of the manderians primary food source...copepods. Sure you can add one...and sure he may be doing fine...but does he have the proper conditions to thrive long term? That is the question that needs to be carefully considered. Most of the experiences I've seen indicate that manderians will not survive long term in most smaller reefs without adaquate supplies of their primary food source...let us know how yours is doing in 6 months or a year. :cool:

jp0379

NW, I'll definitely let you know how its doing in six months. Hopefully you won't be able to gleefully say "I told you so". I owned a 125 years ago, so I do have some knowledge of what I'm doing, since the only reason that one crashed was because of a hurricane here in New Orleans.
Harle, you said it perfectly!

reefnut

Here is my opinion... First of all I don't have a fat bank account or anything, I work hard for my money. But if you can not afford to provide adequate conditions for a animal do not get that animal. Stay with what will do good in the tank you have.
The point here is to know your tanks limitations and stock it accordingly.

This is a very good point. Don't try to stuff a tang in a 29g tank when you know they will require a larger tank... stay with a smaller fish.
Don't put a maxim clam under VHOs because you can not afford MH... Stay with a lower light demanding clam.
This is an expensive hobby but the critters require a certain amount respect.
Bottom line is it's your choice what your putting in your tank... choose wisely and don't make your critters suffer because of your own wants.
JMO,

drakken

OK, I'll slam ya! I AGREE!!!! :D
Seriously, like others have already said it's more about knowing the limitations of your tank.
My 28 bowfront has a dwarf rusty angel in it. Some people would say that it's too small a tank etc... However, I have a lot of open swimming room and plenty of caves for the fish to swim through and hide. The other 2 fish are a false perc and a six line wrasse. All are very active and healthy and seem very happy.
Here's a pic of the tank...

aaron1983

Ok look here is how I feel about this stuff. If the person wants to do something let them do it. You can guide them in making the right choice but I read alot of threads on here and the people giving the advise ends up turning into an order. Thats just not cool. Myself I would never buy a fish that i knew would die I mean whats the point in that but if I think I can do good with a fish ill buy it. Most people think this way. So instead of being nasty to the person asking for advise support them because its obvious that most people wont buy a fish if they dont think it will live. I dont think anyone wants to throw money away.

milwaukeem

Hear is a copy of my thoughts from a new thread I posted.....
Ok let me put this out there before I get chewed up and spit out, of coarse I am new at this hobby so of coarse I am going to try and think of every question possible! As I am sure we all did... I have looked thoroughly through this site and have not seen a thread to touch on this subject....
Let me and try and explain what I am asking here about tank size requirements... As I am sure we have all seen & know that tanks come in all different shapes, sizes, looks, etc... The other day while - my LFS I was looking at some of the tanks they have for sale... I came across a beautiful 240g tank... As I was looking at it though I noticed that the length of the tank was not much longer than mine (60g) the depth was slighty bigger as well, the only thing that was significantly different was the height! I mean this tank was tall especially when on a stand.... So I started to think to myself from what people have told me the most important part for the fish is the length & depth for ample swimming room. The height is not neatly as important unless of coarse you are doing a reef tank.... So my question is if I buy a 240g tank but the length & depth are not that much different than my 60g where is the benefit for the fish that require a large tank? Most fish that I have seen enjoy swimming back and forth not up and down? I just think this a good question for newbies to know when purchasing a tank, that just because it is large in gallon size it still might not be right for the fish they would like to purchase???? Please all thoughts welcome!