Debris and Buildup on Rocks

rune

We have approx 100 lbs of live rock in our 55 gallon. We also have a lot of flow in the form of 2 of the koraline powerheads and the return from the wet/dry. You can tell that the water is swirling around really well but the problem is that our live rock is branchy and seems to collect a lot of stuff.
Here are some older pictures just to demonstrate the live rock structure.

What should we do? Should we use one of the power heads to blow off the rock on a weekly basis? or a turkey baster? or is it ok to leave it be? I dont think we are over feeding. We have two small clowns at the moment that are eating mostly cyclopeeze and 1 or 2 small mysis shrimp once a week. We have 6 snails, 13 blue leg hermits, and 5 red leg hermits in the tank as a clean up crew. We have been slow to "clean" anything in the tank out of fear that the CUC will starve to death. Any suggestions?

scopus tang

Looks like your getting a diatom bloom going. I would blow off the loose debris with either the turkey baster (which I prefer ~ less chance of a sandstorm) or a powerhead. Regardless of your flow, your always going to see some accumulation of debris on your rock. I blow mine off periodically, and I'm always amazed at what manages to accumulate. Nice looking rock work by the way.

rune

Thank you! We love our rock. :) I just wish we could get the diatom bloom under control. I'll try that, thank's again :)

sk8shorty01

How long has this tank been running? Most new (6 months or less) tanks tend to end up getting a diatom bloom as a part of the initial cycle. The diatoms should appear pretty much over night, and then at some point they should start to disappear almost as quickly as they showed up. There is nothing wrong with your tank because of this, its just part of every new tank. Great looking rockwork by the way.

stdreb27

Yeah, without a serious cleaning crew and before your tank really stabilizes you will have this problem. I brush it off, or run a powerhead over the rock. Eventually the growth will start dying off, but detrius will continue acumulating.

sepulatian

You can blow any build up off, but the rocks are not going to stay clean. You will drive yourself crazy trying to keep them that way. They are supposed to get algae on them. The diatoms will recede in time, but you will always have some form of algae on the rocks.

spanko

Agree there ^, the basting of the rockwork will help to keep the detritus from building up by getting it into the water column for removal by filters, skimmers and water changes though.

rune

Originally Posted by sepulatian
http:///forum/post/2566750
You can blow any build up off, but the rocks are not going to stay clean. You will drive yourself crazy trying to keep them that way. They are supposed to get algae on them. The diatoms will recede in time, but you will always have some form of algae on the rocks.
Good point! I don't mind the rocks being dirty, I was just concerned at being able to see debris forming in certain areas. Algae is one thing, but tiny piles of this or that was another.
Thank you for all the comments, I went ahead and used the powerhead last night to blow off the rocks and changed their flow to be a little bit more focused on the rock areas in question. Hopefully it works!

mcbdz

I just make it part of the maintanence weekly. Scrape sides, blow off rock then water change. Give time to clear up then filter cleaning.