Decided to go the best route

monalisa

We are so completely new at this...We've done the research (lots more to do, as we understand...that's what makes it a hobby). We (my daughter and I) decided last weekend to take a holiday to go and pick out equipment. At that time we bought a tank, 37 gallons, a heater, a filter, hydrometer, sand, salt, and we ordered a rought iron stand to fit our tank. OK (we thought) now we're set. On the way home, I remembered "what about power heads?"
OK, no rush. I went this evening to pick out some power heads because I want to get my salt and water mixed, and what do I see but the most beautiful stand and canopy!! Mind you, all we have in the tank at this time is 40# of sand....well...I returned the rought iron stand BEFORE it was too late, and I bought what I knew I woud be happy with (my tank is right in the living room), and OMG, I couldn't be more excited!! It looks like a quality piece of furniture...and believe me, I'm so glad I was able to swap before things would have been a lot more difficult to do.
A side note...the girl at the lfs is VERY up on SWFAs, and I have also done business with her in other capacities. She said "if you have any questions or concerns at all, call me, any time..." I trust her!! She's not going to squew me on anything!
I tried to post a pic...but we just switched to McIntosh and I'm not real savvy with this (yet!!) I just wanted to post my excitement on really getting this started, and doing it the way I'll be happy with!

monalisa

Oh, as a side note, she (my LFS person) also pointed out to me and explained protein skimmers...OK, now that's SO do-able too. I'm glad...:jumping:

sato

Grats on getting started.
Be sure to poke around here too as you may find new and inventive ways to solve problems that the LFS will have very expensive anwers to, as they always do want to sell you stuff.

scotts

To this, not only is it bigger but the stand is better. Glad to hear you got the stand you want. I am glad that I made the switch.
Scott

lion_crazz

Sounds like you are off to a great start!! Just wait until you actually put water into the tank and you are up and running. It is going to get 10 times more exciting!
I would recommend either the Aqua C Remora or an Excalibur for your protein skimmer. Getting this for your tank will only run you another $100, which is not bad at all.

ant

MonaLisa-That is so great! I share in your joy! I wish I could get something bigger and better too. I always drool at the tanks and stands when I go to lfs stores. I'm going to wait until we retire and move to our final destination in two years. I agree with lion in that it gets even better and more exciting. Congrats!!:cheer:
Scott-Show off...

Ant.

monalisa

Thanks SO much for the replies...
Geez, I wish I could figure out this picture thing, I'm so happy with my decision to go with a better stand and canopy...much more than with the rought iron stand. And frankly, it didn't cost near as much as I thought it would!!
I can't wait to get my water in, have to do the mixing first. I understand that I have to temper (?) the tip of my hydrometer for 24 hours...how does that happen? I would like to be able to start adding water this weekend...or thereabouts :rolleyes:
Any advice, suggestions, direction is much appreciated...but this will happen regardless.
Thank you!! Lisa

trainfever

HELLLLOOOOO WISCONSIN! :D
I think you're off to a great start. I also have a wrought iton stand. I would rather have a wood stand but it came with the tank. I bought it used. Anyway since you are just starting up, you can mix your water right in the tank. It's a lot easier than having to mix it in a separate container and then pouring it into the tank.

monalisa

Scott, great transition! Your new stand looks really awesome.
Hey train, thanks a lot for the advice. I think that I'm just going to go ahead and mix the salt water in separate containers anywho, just to get into the practice of doing it.
I'm sure I'll be on the boards a lot more in the next few months, asking more questions than answering them. It has been a tremendous help to me already in doing my research on this.
Thanks. :cheer:

shoimen

Congrats on joinin the hobby!!
Where in Wisconsin are you located??
Madison here.
Good luck on the tank.

monalisa

Hey Shoimen!!
We're practically neighbors!! I'm in little ol' Beaver Dam, just north of you on 151. I've been frequenting Madison though to get my tank and equipment. Do you happen to know of a fish speciality store in Madison, and where it might be located. I would sure be interested in finding it.
Still no luck with the pictures...dang!! :mad:

pelena

for the pictures, do you have Photoshop? Its really easy to change the size of your image. If you save the image as a jpeg and make sure it is not bigger than 500x500 pixels it will appear in your post. All you have to do is use "attach file" when you are leaving a new post. You can check out the top thred in fish photography for better instructions from Beth.

monalisa

Hi Pelena,
Nice to "meet" you. Like I said we just got this new computer at home and it is an awesome computer, but it's a McIntosh. I guess I'm still a PC girl at heart. I think I might have better luck with the picture thing at work. Gonna try that tomorrow. I doubt that we have Photoshop on here, at least I can't find it. May have to get the HB involved if nothing else.
Thanks a lot!!

dragonfli

macs come standard with some form of photoshop. and macs are much better with imagery than pc'c by a long shot. pelena has a mac i know. ask him how. im sure he knows. i used to know macs but it depends on what OS (operating system) you are using. i know system 10, and jag work well with this site. ask on the posts and you shall recieve

pelena

I made the change too. But man-o-man am I glad - after some getting use to of course. Mac is much better IMO. (hopefully I don't get chewed out by the PC lovers for that one)

monalisa

No, not at all...I love this computer and for at home I wouldn't go back (I love learning this kinda stuff), but like you said, I'm still in the acclimation stage. We have the newest McI computer out, the McI mini...awesome compter!! Come Friday, we'll also have DSL!!! :jumping:
We are operating on the OS10 system. If you have any suggestions for me for posting pics, by all means, spill!!!