Deciding if I should give this Hobby a go...

aquarook

Hello everyone,
I guess this thread is as good as any to start in with my very first post.
I'm in the beginning stages of research which is to mean that I have a huge headache. There is a lot of elements to Aquarium Hobbying that I had never considered. I'm still absorbing the initial shell shock of the potential costs of this hobby.
I have though made one solid decision and that is to go with a Saltwater tank and set-up. Which brings me to this site.
I guess if I had to ask my first question it would be how to get into this without losing my wallet? I've visited various pet stores and mom and pops and to do it right it appears I need to spend about $1,100 to $1,500, and that's just for the tank, furniture, filter system, rock, sand, etc, etc, basically everything but the fish and living coral. Does this amount sound right to you seasoned pros? I have a feeling it does, but you know how these stores try to upsell everything.
I was really really really hoping to get a 50-75 gallon tank with all the correct stuff for around $500. Maybe that was my inexperience of what this hobby actually costs, maybe there still is a way...
Which brings me to my second question/statement: "Is there a cheaper way?" I've been told to search ---- and local sales. That a lot of people buy these set-ups and within time get bored or realize the amount of work and quit, thus selling their equipment for half of what it costs. My situation of a set-up budget of around $500 puts me in this hunt.
Then there's always the piece meal strategy... My dad has like a 50 gallon tank just sitting in his garage that he bought at a garage sale for a turtle he had once. Could I start with that and build around it? I in now way am made of money nor do I have a desire to showcase a professional looking set-up.
With that said some of you are probably asking what my goals are in this hobby... I've always loved a good fish tank and thought it would be a fun hobby to share with my young children. My only child right now is getting to the age where he's showing a willing to participate in such an adventure.
So that's about enough for now. I look forward to gaining much knowledge from this forum and look forward to growing this hobby into a personal experience.

finchfishs

Hey, first off welcome to the foums. Im still very new to saltwater fish and this site has helped me a ton. Well from what ive learned, you need to do it right rather then going cheap. Some of the cheaper items will break / dont work...ect. So usually buy the best that you can afford. Also pick up a few good books to read, they will explain everything in detail. A good place to start if check out some LFS (local fish stores) in your area. Some might be trying to take your money, but some might be very helpful. I know when i first started i found one and i went in and the man just showed me what i needed to get and how much it would cost. And everything is working great in my 40g.
What part of OC are you from?? Im in Huntington Beach, and there is a few good stores i can suggest if your near there. I got all of my stuff for about 700$ (40g) I didnt buy the BEST stuff of everything, but i got evough to get by for a while....then down the road i get some cash and can upgrade everything
Just make sure you know your stuff before you make a purchase so you dont make any mistakes that will hurt you in the long run. Also is you NEED patients...i got my tank got home all excited and got everything working. Then i realized i had to wait like 4 weeks for it to cycle until i could add fish. But now it was worth it, its one of the best hobbies ive seen. Keep asking questions here and everyone will do the best they can to help you out.

aquarook

Originally Posted by FinchFishs
What part of OC are you from??
City of Orange, up in the hills right on the boarder of Anaheim Hills.
I found a real nice mom and pop store, he's the guy that quoted me around $1,100. Like I said he was very nice and real informative and spent like 30 minutes with me a "potential" buyer while other people were in his store. I would love to buy through him but quite frankly $1100 for the set-up is a bit of a reach for me right now.
I'm considering selling a bunch of my collectibles (my main hobby for years) so that I can get into this Hobby. If I can manage to ---- off some of my collectibles I might be able to raise the $1,100 and thus not dent my pocket book. More to come on that.

parmoffitt

The tanks at Petsmart seem very reasonable with stand. I would try getting new. Used tanks are tempting but you might be buying an aquarium with a leak and poor quality equipment. In other words....someone else's problem.
The aquariums in the LFS are higher in cost than Petsmart or *****. At least in my area they are. I almost bought a used 50 gallon aquarium with a very nice light system. The lady was charging me $350.00 for the lights and giving me the tank. After really looking at the tank...it had scratches on it and the top bracket needed to be replaced. I backed off of it. I bought a new system and have not regretted it. If money is a issue.....buy what you need as your budget will allow. A piece at a time if you need to. Then after you have bought everything, set it up. There is a way to budget this if your patient and go slow. It is an expensive hobby but once your ecosystem is up and running and thriving you will get more back more in pleasure than $$$ spent.
Look into joining an aquarium club where you live and participate in frag swaps. There is a way to get corals and fish without busting your budget. I agree that the LFS are outrageous with their prices and really try to stick the hobbyist. Don't trust information from the LFS...buy books and read....read.....read..be an informed aquarist and you will have great success with your tank. Mine is absolutely stunning and thriving and I love it. Stay on top of your tank maintenance and everything will go well with your saltwater tank.
Hope this helps!

hot883

Originally Posted by AquaRook
Hello everyone,
I guess this thread is as good as any to start in with my very first post.
I'm in the beginning stages of research which is to mean that I have a huge headache. There is a lot of elements to Aquarium Hobbying that I had never considered. I'm still absorbing the initial shell shock of the potential costs of this hobby.
I have though made one solid decision and that is to go with a Saltwater tank and set-up. Which brings me to this site.
I guess if I had to ask my first question it would be how to get into this without losing my wallet? I've visited various pet stores and mom and pops and to do it right it appears I need to spend about $1,100 to $1,500, and that's just for the tank, furniture, filter system, rock, sand, etc, etc, basically everything but the fish and living coral. Does this amount sound right to you seasoned pros? I have a feeling it does, but you know how these stores try to upsell everything.
I was really really really hoping to get a 50-75 gallon tank with all the correct stuff for around $500. Maybe that was my inexperience of what this hobby actually costs, maybe there still is a way...
Which brings me to my second question/statement: "Is there a cheaper way?" I've been told to search ---- and local sales. That a lot of people buy these set-ups and within time get bored or realize the amount of work and quit, thus selling their equipment for half of what it costs. My situation of a set-up budget of around $500 puts me in this hunt.
Then there's always the piece meal strategy... My dad has like a 50 gallon tank just sitting in his garage that he bought at a garage sale for a turtle he had once. Could I start with that and build around it? I in now way am made of money nor do I have a desire to showcase a professional looking set-up.
With that said some of you are probably asking what my goals are in this hobby... I've always loved a good fish tank and thought it would be a fun hobby to share with my young children. My only child right now is getting to the age where he's showing a willing to participate in such an adventure.
So that's about enough for now. I look forward to gaining much knowledge from this forum and look forward to growing this hobby into a personal experience.
Just read a post on here for a tank sale in Cali. Search the classifieds. Welcome to the boards. I have spent about that $1,500 you are talking about and I have a 55 bought the entire setup at Walmart for $138. Added lights, sand, LR etc. Bammmmm it adds up!

monalisa

I wish I could help you out with the set up dilemma, price-wise, but well, you can see where I'm from...totally different story.
I do however have the power and the knowledge to welcome you warmly to these boards and advise you to do as much research as you possibly can before venturing out. The more you read, the more you'll need to know.
When it comes time to take the plunge and purchase your equipment post here. Everyone here is extremely helpful and supportive!! Starting the tank up...come here. Stock the tank...come here, well okay, you see the pattern...
Again, a very warm welcome to you and your little guy. I'm sure that he'll get a very valuable learning lesson through all of this (I know I did, and so has my daughter!!).
Lisa :happyfish

carshark

well if you have a maximum of 500 bucks right now...Id wait, truly. one that you could do an enitre set up for a nano-reef, but that surpasses all of the beginner stage which is about 55 gal.+ the bigger the tank, more room for error. which no matter how much you research and know, it will always happen... 1100 bucks will get you started.. I bought my 75 gallon with oak stand and hood, lighting(NO flourescent), emporer 400, substrate, heater, thermometer for about 350 bucks, set up was strictly freshwater, and used...i had been doing freshwater for about 6 years before this purchase. then i decided to go with saltwater. took out all of the substrate, cleaned everything with hot water twice. and went to work...
90lbs ofsubstrate: live sand(50 lbs) aragonite(crushed coral 40lbs.)-$120.00,
CPR bakpak skimmer(pump included)-$85.00,
300w heater-$25.00,
2-penguin 1150 powerheads-$65.00
20lbs of wonderfully cured Live Rock(not nearly enough)-$103.00
Red Sea Marine Lab testkit-$45.00
Ph buffer-$10.00
Prime water conditioner-$18.00
bucket of "instant ocean salt"-$65.00(good for 200 gall.)
2-48" NO flourescent 40w bulbs-$45.00(minimum lighting, better costs a whole lot more)
Hydrometer-$15.00
QT tank 29 gal.-$50.00
Filter-$45.00 shipped!!(emporer 400, brand new)
200w heater-$20.00
penguin 550 powerhead-$20.00
total: $1066.00 keep in mind 3/4 of these purchases were close to or at wholesale!!and i did not include the prices of RO water, etc etc.
this just got me started!!!! and this really was a budget set up...i have upgraded my skimmer, and live rock(50 more lbs), amongst live stock, food. calcium tests, calcium buffer, and phosphate tests and buffer, and upgraded from hydrometer to a refractometer(this is a must) and I am upgrading my lighting to a VHO set up.and also setting up a refuge and sump system and adding moonlights...
Total invested so far including live stock: roughly $2000
I am sure I missed a couple of things here..... :notsure:
also pick up Bob Fenner's "The Conscientous Marine Aquarist"

oceanist

Originally Posted by hot883
Just read a post on here for a tank sale in Cali. Search the classifieds. Welcome to the boards. I have spent about that $1,500 you are talking about and I have a 55 bought the entire setup at Walmart for $138. Added lights, sand, LR etc. Bammmmm it adds up!

I second that , i bought that same setup for 138 , it is a awesome tank , it is very clear to look through , and pretty damn durable to . i dont recomend WalMart for anything else other than that for , but it is a really great set up for beginers , if you plan on doing a reef / coral tank you would have to upgrade the lighting , which would be 4-5 watts per gallon , so you looking at 270 watts or around there would get you by , that would run you about $300 for PC with the fan built in , at least in sacramento. But thats only if your doiing corals and what not. I havent upgraded my lights yet , and im still getting tons of coralling growth on my LR and even my turbo snails shell, that has to do with calcium though. But with my 40 lbs LR , 2 Powerheads , Salt ,10lbs LS , Heaters , and Livestock , and Crushed Coral Sand im at about $1200 and i havent added lights yet so the qoute above mine is pretty accurate. Do know that not all of this needs to be bought at once , the Basic things your going to need to get started are the tank the stand LR and LS , and to be honest thats about 500 dollars right there . The tank at walmart comes with a heater a WetDry Filter and some other needed things so that will get you by for now , also they sell a stand for that 55 gallon for 78 bucks that you can build yourself. I recomend that if tyour good with wood working , DIY your stand , go to home depot or lowes and by the things you need and customize a stand that fits your needs. I built my own stand for 60 dollars , its a dark cherrywood stain i did , and it came out nicer than any stand that you could by. ill post some pics of it later . But 500 dollars should get you going.
Also if you havent allready get yourself The "Conscientous Marine Aquarist" , simply awesome book , lots of knowledge from that guy. If you allready have good for you.
And last But not least , dont be affraid to ask questions here , we all have dealt with trial and error , and chances are somebody will have a solution to your hobby , there are no dumb questions , were all one big family here.
Also Welcome to the hobby and the Boards
:joy:

mikeyjer

First of all, welcome to the boards...

I bought my 46 bow front & 55 both with stand and both with Eheim canister filter. The bow front had glass top, but the 55 had the cheap plastic tops. 55 had sand and 46 had crushed coral (which I will eventually change out). They came with heater and buffer, test kits, hydrometer, etc. All for $450, got them from a lady in the paper lives like 5 min from me. We replaced the tops on the 55 with glass tops $18.99 each top since 55 needs two, bought them at *****. We then bought two maxi jet 1200 (Power Heads) for the 55 and maxi jet 900 for the bow front. Total cost for power heads $70.00 We just got our protein skimmer today from online ordering. Aqua C Remora Cost of it $165.00 Then getting the live rocks soon. Cost of it is unsure yet...lol...Look in the paper, lots of time they have great deals in there. At least we do in our paper here locally (Nashville, TN). You can move slowly upwards, you don't have to have everything at once. But you need the basics to start like a filtering system, sand, power heads, and of course a tank and lights. Regular lights will get you by with the basics until your ready for an upgrade. When your ready for fish after your tank cycles. Look into getting something like a Green Chromis, they're a great beginner's fish. VERY hardy and expensive fish and fun to watch. Plus they don't post threat to any new arrivals you may get. But the best is to read up on it before you do any purchase. They may not post threat to your new arrivals, but the new arrivals may post threat to them. But the best is to read up on it before you do any purchase. . Good Luck!!! :happyfish

aquarook

Thanks everyone for all the great info, I'm taking notes on all of it.
Couple questions at this point:
1. People are trying to steer a "beginner (me)" away from saltwater due to the cost of fish, inverts and coral and the fact that since I'm a beginner I'm likely to kill them. I would hate to buy a $20-$30 fish and then have it die because my tank is not running a perfect eco-system. Any thoughts on some inexpensive fish for beginners, and/or fish that are very strong and hard to kill? I'm going for a friendly tank so I would prefer fish that like each other.
2. I've looked at my WalMart for that $138 deal and can not find it. Was this a promotional item that has since been discontinued?
3. I've begun looking in my local papers for someone selling their system. I posted a question in the DIY thread about "Moving a Tank" maybe you can answer it here. What if I find a deal full of fish, how do I move the tank to my house without distrubing the eco-system? I mean Do you pull each fish out into smaller "transport" coolers, drain the tank and then re-set it up at your house? If so you probably have to cycle the tank through again which could tank another month right?
OK enough for now, thanks for all the info.

fishntx

your best bet is to look around for a used tank that is in good shape or a new tank with the whole system, if you buy every part seperate it will most likely cost more. and do everything slowly dont rush. to save money you can buyhalf live sand and half aragonite(not live) sand, half live rock and half base rock. start off with maybe a damsel or small clown they a reletivly inexpensive.as far as moving a tank as long as the live rock is kept under water you should not have any problem. just put everything in transport containers, even the water. the set it all back up at your place. the water will be a little cloudy at first so i would wait a while to put the fish in. other than that you should be fine, maybe do a 10% water change within a day or two. good luck on finding a tank and have fun,this is a great hobby to be in although time consuming.i would rather watch my fish than tv.

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by fishntx
your best bet is to look around for a used tank that is in good shape or a new tank with the whole system, if you buy every part seperate it will most likely cost more. and do everything slowly dont rush. to save money you can buyhalf live sand and half aragonite(not live) sand, half live rock and half base rock. start off with maybe a damsel or small clown they a reletivly inexpensive.as far as moving a tank as long as the live rock is kept under water you should not have any problem. just put everything in transport containers, even the water. the set it all back up at your place. the water will be a little cloudy at first so i would wait a while to put the fish in. other than that you should be fine, maybe do a 10% water change within a day or two. good luck on finding a tank and have fun,this is a great hobby to be in although time consuming.i would rather watch my fish than tv.
I have to disagree on the Damsels!!!! They're VERY territorial fish. He wanted a friendly tank and add more fish down the road and Damsels isn't one of them. Like I've said before, get a Green Chromis, they're very hardy and friendly fish, also inexpensive like the Damsels are. But I do agree however on your moving part of the tank. But BE sure to keep your water at a specific temp, cause I lost ONE fish due to the temp during moving. And also Walmart should still have those tanks, at least mine does still. Like I've said before, keep on looking in the papers and you may just come across on a good deal. Good Luck!!! I do however, enjoy watching my fish then TV also...
:happyfish

S

sinner's girl

I really wish I had all this money ya'll spend on your tanks. I haven't spent close to that amount on my 55gl and 75gl. Before that we had 2 20gl. The only tank we bought new was the 55gl, and it didn't cost much, got it from walmart without a stand, got a used filter from a lfs, and had the other stuff. I think we had to be a new heater. When we moved we had to buy a stand for the 55gl.
Add lr and base rock as you can, you don't have to add it all at once. Don't buy all lr, buy some lr, then add base rock. I don't have a protein skimmer on either tank, not sure why I would need one either.
I would hate to buy a $20-$30 fish and then have it die because my tank is not running a perfect eco-system. Any thoughts on some inexpensive fish for beginners, and/or fish that are very strong and hard to kill?
The fish I spent more than a few dollars on was a yellow tang, and that was gift for me. Damsels are hardy and cheap, clowns are hardy and cheap. You can find tons of fish under 20.
You can start off with regular lights if you don't plan on have corals. We just have regular lights.
Just lfs for used tanks. Heck, we got the 75gl tank, stand lights, blue lights, fliter, heater, powerhead and four fish for cheap. Under $200 I know. Maybe 150-175, but I'm not sure Sinner would have even spent that much.
carshark-why on earth would you mix ls and cc. Don't.

aquarook

Can some please post a cheat sheet if abbreviations. I've read a lot of LFS, CC, LR, etc.
I don't quiet get the concept of a liveing Rock vs. a Base Rock. I mean how can a rock be "living"? Maybe it's my literal translation that's confusing me. Is a Living rock more like coral that resembles a rock?
Thanks again for the info.

carshark

Can some please post a cheat sheet if abbreviations. I've read a lot of LFS, CC, LR, etc.
I don't quiet get the concept of a liveing Rock vs. a Base Rock. I mean how can a rock be "living"? Maybe it's my literal translation that's confusing me. Is a Living rock more like coral that resembles a rock?
LR or live rock, is actually living in terms to its inhabitants and coralline growth on and in it. like when you see a rock covered in purple and green and pink coralline algae, there are tons of micro-organisms in that rock, even hitchhikers like feather dusters, snails, crabs, brittle stars, copepods, etc. So yes that rock is actually living. they also contain boifiltering media, that can/will improve your water quality, offer a food source for various animals and invertebrates. etc. And it looks really cool too!
LFS-local fish store
RO-reverse osmosis, the process in which the water is purified
CC- crushed coral-aka aragonite
some of the abbreviations are just short hand responses makes it easier to type posts... :happyfish

mikeyjer

A live rock has more critters and living organisms living within and also hitch-hiker. It has your bio-logical filtration that cleans your tank for you. A base rock doesn't have all the critters that you will get with the live rock. A base rock is good to use to built the base foundation before you add the live rocks on top.
LFS - Local Fish Shop
CC - Crushed Coral
LR - Live Rock
LS - Live Sand
RO - Reverse Osmosis
DI - Distilled/Deionized
These are just some of them....I heard a lot of people are against CC. I personally have one tank that has sand and the other has CC. It will do for now until we get the new 125+ gallon tank in the spring, then we'll dump out that CC and change it to LS. :happyfish

vejomatic

Welcome

COuple of tips from a newbie to a newbie...
1. Try a fish-only tank first.
2. Dont be afraid to use nice base rock (save $$) in the tank with a few "choice" pieces of LR.
3. DONT USE TAP WATER!!
4. Go to Library and check out Aquarium books (preferably newer ones).
5. Post here frequently
6. Don't listen to newbies like me....

7. Finaly, step into the lagoon, dont dive in....patience is key. Slower is Faster in Aquaria
Good Luck! :jumping:
~vm

hot883

Originally Posted by Oceanist
I second that , i bought that same setup for 138 , it is a awesome tank , it is very clear to look through , and pretty damn durable to . i dont recomend WalMart for anything else other than that for , but it is a really great set up for beginers , if you plan on doing a reef / coral tank you would have to upgrade the lighting , which would be 4-5 watts per gallon , so you looking at 270 watts or around there would get you by , that would run you about $300 for PC with the fan built in , at least in sacramento. But thats only if your doiing corals and what not. I havent upgraded my lights yet , and im still getting tons of coralling growth on my LR and even my turbo snails shell, that has to do with calcium though. But with my 40 lbs LR , 2 Powerheads , Salt ,10lbs LS , Heaters , and Livestock , and Crushed Coral Sand im at about $1200 and i havent added lights yet so the qoute above mine is pretty accurate. Do know that not all of this needs to be bought at once , the Basic things your going to need to get started are the tank the stand LR and LS , and to be honest thats about 500 dollars right there . The tank at walmart comes with a heater a WetDry Filter and some other needed things so that will get you by for now , also they sell a stand for that 55 gallon for 78 bucks that you can build yourself. I recomend that if tyour good with wood working , DIY your stand , go to home depot or lowes and by the things you need and customize a stand that fits your needs. I built my own stand for 60 dollars , its a dark cherrywood stain i did , and it came out nicer than any stand that you could by. ill post some pics of it later . But 500 dollars should get you going.
Also if you havent allready get yourself The "Conscientous Marine Aquarist" , simply awesome book , lots of knowledge from that guy. If you allready have good for you.
And last But not least , dont be affraid to ask questions here , we all have dealt with trial and error , and chances are somebody will have a solution to your hobby , there are no dumb questions , were all one big family here.
Also Welcome to the hobby and the Boards
:joy:
Hey Oceanist, I paid $109 with shipping for my 260w PC's with fans from the famous auction site. Just gotta look!

celacanthr

sorry i didn't want to read this whole thread but here is the cheapest thing i can think of...
-FOWLER(Fish Only With Live Rock)
-Make most of ur rock ur self
-get sand from Home depot
-get a few pounds of live rock to seed ur homemade rock and sand
-build ur own stand
-use the lights that came with the tank( you would be able to keep gorgonians, sponges, and sun corals which will add alot of color to ur tank
hope this helped!

the total for this would be about 300$ This is what i di for my tank.